AIG to sell some Latin America, European units to Canada's Fairfax
- Health, energy stocks hit Wall St, Microsoft lifts Nasdaq
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
- General Electric (GE) Tops Q3 EPS by 2c; Updates FY16 EPS Outlook
People exit the AIG building in New York's financial district March 19, 2015. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - U.S. insurer American International Group (NYSE: AIG) said on Tuesday it would sell some businesses in Latin America and central and eastern Europe to Canada's Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd (NYSE: FFH) for about $240 million in cash.
AIG, which has been under pressure from shareholders including billionaire Carl Icahn to slim down, said it would sell commercial and consumer insurance operations in Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Uruguay, Venezuela and Turkey.
Fairfax will also acquire renewal rights for a portfolio of business written by AIG's central and eastern European operations, AIG said.
In August, AIG sold its mortgage-guaranty unit to Arch Capital Group Ltd (NASDAQ: ACGL) for about $3.4 billion. Last month, it sold its Lloyd's of London platform, Ascot, to the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in a deal valued at about $1.1 billion.
(Reporting by Richa Naidu in Bengaluru; Editing by Savio D'Souza)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Carlyle's (CG) LDiscovery to Acquire Kroll Ontrack in $410M Deal
- Qualcomm nears $37 billion deal to buy NXP Semiconductors: source
- Alere (ALR) Receives Shareholder Support for Proposed Abbott (ABT) Merger
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesReuters
Related EntitiesCarl Icahn, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!