Cyber Monday sales biggest online shopping day in U.S. history
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
Workers process outgoing shipments at an Amazon Fulfillment Center on Cyber Monday in Tracy, California, U.S. November 28, 2016. REUTERS/Noah Berger
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
By Siddharth Cavale
(Reuters) - Shoppers spent $3.45 billion on Cyber Monday on Samsung 4K TVs, PlayStation 4s and Barbie dolls among other products, marking the largest online sales day in U.S. history.
The data compiled by Adobe Digital Insights, easily surpassed prior estimates, and dismissed fears that strong web sales during the Thanksgiving weekend would hurt sales on Cyber Monday - the busiest day of the year for internet shopping historically.
It also underscored the broader shift to shopping online, which is making up for slower spending in stores.
Cyber Monday sales jumped 12.1 percent year-over-year and surpassed initial expectations that called for total sales of $3.36 billion, according to Adobe Digital Insights.
Top-selling electronics by units on the day include Sony's <6758.T> PlayStation 4 and Microsoft's (NASDAQ: MSFT) Xbox gaming consoles as well as Samsung <005930.KS> 4K TVs, Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) iPhones and Amazon's (NASDAQ: AMZN) Fire tablets.
Adobe collects the data by measuring 80 percent of all online transactions from the top 100 U.S. retailers. Of every $10 spent at the top 500 U.S. retailers, $7.50 goes through the Adobe Marketing Cloud sales platform.
(Reporting by Siddharth Cavale in Bengaluru; Editing by Shounak Dasgupta)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Trump 'won't be worse than Obama,' says Venezuela's president
- Costa Rica sues Nicaragua over alleged territory violation
- Gene Cernan, last astronaut to walk on moon, dies at 82
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesRetail Sales, Reuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!