Employment in Higher Education Contracts for Fourth Consecutive Quarter As Job Postings Increase
- Top 10 News for 10/20 - 10/24: Apple Ramps on Results; Loeb Eyes Amgen; Advanced Technologies Exits Sapphire Game
- Procter & Gamble (PG) Reports In-Line Q1 EPS; To Spin-Off Duracell
- Dallas Ebola Nurse Nina Pham now cured - NIH Says
- Ford Motor (F) Tops Q3 EPS by 5c
- SodaStream (SODA) Confirms 'Small-Scale' PepsiCo (PEP) Test
STATE COLLEGE, Pa., Aug. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The number of jobs in higher education decreased in Q2 2014 for the fourth consecutive quarter and the largest decline since the current downward trend began. During the same period, the number of advertisements for job openings in higher education continued to grow according to a new report from HigherEdJobs, the leading source for jobs and career information in academia. The full report can be viewed at http://www.higheredjobs.com/career/quarterly-report.cfm.
An analysis of U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) data by HigherEdJobs found the total number of jobs in higher education was down 1.14 percent in Q2 2014, or about 20,100 jobs, compared to the same period last year. Community colleges, in particular, noticed a sharp drop in employment decreasing by 9.7 percent, or about 7,500 jobs.
Counter to the downward trend in higher education employment, the number of advertisements for job postings in academia continued to increase in Q2 2014 and, although at a greater pace than a year ago, not as fast as observed in prior periods. Some major developments in Q2 2014 include increased hiring for administrative and executive positions compared to faculty as well as growth in job postings for part-time positions.
The recent declines in overall higher education jobs and the increase of part-time job postings could be related to colleges and universities being pressed to make spending cuts despite instituting tuition hikes. A recent report from Washington-based Center on Budget and Policy Priorities found higher education funding "remains well below pre-recession levels in almost all states."
The report analyzes data from BLS and HigherEdJobs' posting data from colleges and universities that have continuously subscribed to the company's unlimited posting plan for four years, a group of more than 850 schools that have no financial deterrent not to post any openings.
HigherEdJobs® is the leading source for jobs and career information in academia. During 2013, over 5,300 colleges and universities posted more than 136,000 faculty, administrative, and executive job postings to the company's website, which receives more than 1,000,000 unique visitors a month. HigherEdJobs is published by Internet Employment Linkage, Inc. and is headquartered in State College, Pa.
You May Also Be Interested In
- Kids Test Their “IRONMAN” Skills at Inaugural UnitedHealthcare IRONKIDS Miami Fun Run
- Carta Worldwide's Host Card Emulation and Tokenization technology named 'Best Contactless Solution'
- Giants vs Royals World Series Tickets: TicketProcess Offers Last-Minute Ticketing Options for Game 4 & 5 2014 World Series Tickets at AT&T Stadium in San Francisco
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesPress Releases
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!