200 Skills Every Cook Must Have -- New From Firefly Books
- Top 10 News for 03/03 - 03/07: Russia/Ukraine Tension Shakes Markets; Safeway Gets Official Bid; Bitcoin Founder 'Found'
- Icahn Plans to Use Facebook, Along with Twititer and Website to Communicate
- Nonfarm Payrolls Rose 175K in Feb., Led by Gains in Trade, Services
- Coupons.com (COUP) IPO Surges Higher
- Tesla (TSLA) Cuts Model S Price in Europe
TORONTO, ON -- (Marketwired) -- 11/12/13 -- 200 Skills Every Cook Must Have (now available, $29.95 hardcover) is an illustrated guide to the most important tips and techniques that are the key to cooking with confidence and consistency. The book explains and illustrates every important technique, from impressive knife skills to perfect pastry, and gives cooks a new level of comfort with tricky dishes like lobster and soufflé.
A simple step-by-step format with full-color photography and clear, easy-to-follow instructions takes culinary skills to the next level. The book is organized like a cooking master-class that readers can follow in order or flip to a particular skill that needs perfecting.
The book is divided into twelve chapters, each focusing on a key set of skills or a type of food or ingredient. Expert tips offer handy advice on alternative methods, explanations of terms, and additional techniques for when the cook gains more confidence. The easy-to-follow layout lists all the ingredients and utensils the cook will need to practice each skill, followed by detailed steps to guide the reader through all of the most essential culinary techniques. Topics include:
- Basics -- how to use and care for basic equipment and knives
- Sauces and Dressings -- recipes and methods for key sauces such as classic vinaigrette, mayonnaise, hollandaise and custard
- Preparing and Cooking Fruits and Vegetables -- charring and peeling peppers, caramelizing onions, peeling tomatoes, peeling garlic, grating ginger, salting eggplant, chopping chilies and more
- Preparing and Cooking Meat -- how to cook a steak, carve a chicken, joint a chicken, prep a rack of lamb, and other key skills
- Basic Fish Skills -- opening oysters, poaching, papillote, prepping shrimp, boning and filleting, steaming and cooking lobster
- Pastry and Baking Skills -- cracking and separating eggs, making a soufflé, blind baking, melting chocolate and glazing
- Pasta, Bread, Rice & Noodles -- boiling pasta, rolling fresh pasta dough, basic bread tips, making perfect rice and easy risotto
- Presentation and Plating -- plating tools, decorative plating techniques, slicing and placing, and piping
- Preserving and Storing -- quick pickling, salting, flavored oils, syrups, skimming, and desalting
- Tips for Entertaining -- table-laying, planning, timing and more helpful advice.
For the culinary novice or the experienced amateur, 200 Skills Every Cook Must Have shows how to stew, steam and sauté to success every time. It is the secret ingredient that transforms a good cook into a great one.
About the Authors:
Clara Paul attended Ballymaloe Cookery School. She runs her own catering company, contributes recipes to various publications, and is head chef at Books For Cooks. She was a regular contributor to Chef Magazine.
Eric Treuillé owns and operates Books For Cooks and is a regular cooking demonstrator. He is the author of Le Cordon Bleu Techniques and Recipes, and several technique and skill-based subject books.
Title: 200 Skills Every Cook Must Have: The Step-By-Step Methods That Will Turn A Good Cook Into a Great Cook
Authors: Clara Paul and Eric Treuillé
Specs: 256 pages, 8 ¼" x 8", over 300 color photographs, index; / $29.95 Hardcover
ISBN: 978-177085-210-5 / Pub Date: November 2013 / Publisher: Firefly Books
Available now in bookstores, from online booksellers or at www.fireflybooks.com.
Firefly Books Ltd., established in 1977, is a North American publisher of non-fiction and distributor of non-fiction and children's books. Firefly's goal is to bring readers beautifully produced books written by experts at reasonable prices.
Valerie Hatton Firefly Books Ltd.416 499-8412 email@example.com
Source: Firefly Books Ltd.
You May Also Be Interested In
- Hot Wheels(R) Canada Launches Track Builder Challenge
- N.C.'s Electric Cooperatives Continue Power Restoration Efforts, Make Significant Progress
- Lucky Bingo Player's Future Is Filled With Crystal Ball Jackpot Winnings
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesPress Releases
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!