Monsanto (MON) Merger Spread Widens as Doubts Grow
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) in Advanced Talks to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) - WSJ
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
The merger arb spread on yesterday's massive $66 billion takeover of Monsanto (NYSE: MON) by Bayer is heading in the wrong direction, according to StreetInsider's Merger Arbitrage tracker. Yesterday, Monsanto agreed to be taken over for $128 per share in cash but today the stock is trading down to $104.56. With the drop, the spread has widened by 2.5% to 22.4%. As a comparison, the spread on the deals that are expected to close would only be a few percentage points. Meanwhile, the spread on Anthem (NYSE: ANTM)/Cigna (NYSE: CI), a deal that is expected to fall apart, is 30.8%.
If the deal goes through investors can make a return of 22.4% for doing no work. However "if" is the key word. The large spread is a major red-flag.
With the deal not expected to close until the end of 2017 there is a lot of time for things to go wrong. Politicians are already clamoring against the deal and antitrust attorneys are readying their pencils.
Some arbs only see a 50-50 chance of the deal closing.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- AT&T (T) Agrees to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for More than $80 Billion - WSJ
- TripAdvisor (TRIP) Shares Pop Higher Amid Chatter
- UPDATE: Perrigo (PRGO) Sees Intra-Day Gains on Report It Hired a Banker
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesMergers and Acquisitions, Rumors, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!