Mega Gold Merger Breaks Down
- AbbVie (ABBV) to Acquire Pharmacyclics (PCYC) for $21 Billion
- Market Wrap: Job Additions Light in Feb.; McDonald's Plans Better Product Sourcing; Lumber Liquidators Chopped Again
- Etsy (ETSY) Files $100 Million IPO
- After-Hours Stock Movers 03/04: (RNDY) (PEIX) (PCYC) Higher; (SMTC) (VNDA) (ECA) Lower (more...)
- ADP Employment Change 212K vs 219K Expected
Shares of Barrick Gold Corp. (NYSE: ABX), Newmont Mining Corp. (NYSE: NEM) and other gold mining stocks are on watch Monday following reports Friday from the Wall Street Journal that Barrick and Newmont recently terminated merger discussions after being locked in advanced talks.
A deal was expected to be announced as early as Tuesday before talks broke down. Sources indicated the two have talked about a merger a number of times in the past and may again reconsider the deal.
The latest discussions were promoted by the slide in gold over the past year as the Fed moves to end QE after pumping the system with excess capital for years following the 'great recession.'
While a deal could not be reached, the fact that the two were near a deal could spark talk of further consolidation in the sector. In addition to Barrick and Newmont, speculators will be looking at other gold mining stocks including: Goldcorp Inc. (NYSE: GG), AngloGold Ashanti Ltd. (NYSE: AU), Agnico Eagle Mines Limited (NYSE: AEM), Eldorado Gold Corp. (NYSE: EGO), Kinross Gold Corporation (NYSE: KGC) and Yamana Gold, Inc. (NYSE: AUY).
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Said Nearing Deal to Acquire Pharmacyclics (PCYC)
- UPDATE: American Electric Power (AEP) Said to Weigh Sale of AEP River Shipping Arm - Bloomberg
- ANN, Inc. (ANN) Could Draw $50 - $62/Share in Takeover - Mizuho
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesMergers and Acquisitions, Rumors, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!