Mega Gold Merger Breaks Down
- Facebook (FB) Tops Q2 EPS by 10c
- Qualcomm, Inc. (QCOM) Tops Q3 EPS by 22c, Raises FY Guidance
- With Pesky Q3 Results Out of the Way, All Eyes Focus on Apple (AAPL) iPhone Refresh and All-Time Highs
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 07/23: (PBYI) (DRL) (NQ) Higher; (UIS) (XLNX) (NETE) Lower
- Apple, Inc. (AAPL) Tops Q3 EPS by 5c, Sales Light
Shares of Barrick Gold Corp. (NYSE: ABX), Newmont Mining Corp. (NYSE: NEM) and other gold mining stocks are on watch Monday following reports Friday from the Wall Street Journal that Barrick and Newmont recently terminated merger discussions after being locked in advanced talks.
A deal was expected to be announced as early as Tuesday before talks broke down. Sources indicated the two have talked about a merger a number of times in the past and may again reconsider the deal.
The latest discussions were promoted by the slide in gold over the past year as the Fed moves to end QE after pumping the system with excess capital for years following the 'great recession.'
While a deal could not be reached, the fact that the two were near a deal could spark talk of further consolidation in the sector. In addition to Barrick and Newmont, speculators will be looking at other gold mining stocks including: Goldcorp Inc. (NYSE: GG), AngloGold Ashanti Ltd. (NYSE: AU), Agnico Eagle Mines Limited (NYSE: AEM), Eldorado Gold Corp. (NYSE: EGO), Kinross Gold Corporation (NYSE: KGC) and Yamana Gold, Inc. (NYSE: AUY).
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Yahoo! (YHOO) Active on Rumors; Alibaba (BABA) May Buy it Post-IPO, or Softbank
- Goldcorp (GG) Showed Interest in Newmont's (NEM) African Gold Mines - Bloomberg
- EMC Corp. (EMC) Targeted by Elliot for VMware (VMW) Separation - Bloomberg
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesMergers and Acquisitions, Rumors, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!