Allergan (AGN) is on A Major Buying Spree... And It's Just Getting Started
- Oil steady around $50 on doubts over OPEC output cuts
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Costco Wholesale (COST) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c; Comps Up 1%, 2% Ex-Gas
- Universal Health (UHS) Disputes and Denies Conclusions in BuzzFeed Article
- Perrigo (PRGO) to Restructure BCH Omega Pharma Belgium Business; Will Terminate EuroGenerics Agreement
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
Allergan (NYSE: AGN) is wasting little time spending the $29 billion in net cash proceeds it received from the generics sale to Teva. The company has announced four deals since the start of September, including two in the last 12 hours:
- 09/06 - Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN) agreed to acquire RetroSense Therapeutics LLC, a private, clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on novel gene therapy approaches to restore vision in patients suffering from blindness for $60 million upfront payment +milestones
- 09/14 - Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN) agreed to acquire Vitae Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: VTAE) for $21.00 per share, in cash, for a total transaction value of approximately $639 million. The acquisition will strengthen Allergan's dermatology product pipeline, with the addition of VTP-43742, a Phase 2 first-in-class, orally active RORγt (retinoic acid receptor-related orphan receptor gamma) inhibitor for the potential treatment of psoriasis and other autoimmune disorders.
- 09/20 - Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN) agreed to acquire Tobira Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: TBRA) for an upfront payment of $28.35 per share, in cash, and up to $49.84 per share in Contingent Value Rights (CVRs). Total potential consideration is up to $1.695 billion. Tobira is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing therapies for non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and other liver diseases.
- 09/20 - Allergan (NYSE: AGN) agreed to acquire Akarna Therapeutics Ltd., a privately held biopharmaceutical company focused on developing novel small molecule therapeutics that target inflammatory and fibrotic diseases, for an up-front payment of $50 million plus milestones.
The total dollar amount of these recently announced deals (including full CVRs) adds up to potentially ~$2.5 billion, leaving a war chest of at least $26.5 billion.
While all of Allergan's recently announced deals have been small bolt-on ones, other pharma companies know that Allergan is a big buyer in the room, which could bid up prices for many deals. Also, notably two of the deals focused on NASH.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Abbott (ABT) Files Complaint to Terminate Alere (ALR) Acquisition
- OCI N.V. Offers to Acquire Remaining OCI Partners (OCIP) Common Units
- Gores Group Unit to Acquire Triumph Group's (TGI) TAR Business
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesMergers and Acquisitions, Rumors, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!