Allergan (AGN) is on A Major Buying Spree... And It's Just Getting Started
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Allergan (NYSE: AGN) is wasting little time spending the $29 billion in net cash proceeds it received from the generics sale to Teva. The company has announced four deals since the start of September, including two in the last 12 hours:
- 09/06 - Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN) agreed to acquire RetroSense Therapeutics LLC, a private, clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on novel gene therapy approaches to restore vision in patients suffering from blindness for $60 million upfront payment +milestones
- 09/14 - Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN) agreed to acquire Vitae Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: VTAE) for $21.00 per share, in cash, for a total transaction value of approximately $639 million. The acquisition will strengthen Allergan's dermatology product pipeline, with the addition of VTP-43742, a Phase 2 first-in-class, orally active RORγt (retinoic acid receptor-related orphan receptor gamma) inhibitor for the potential treatment of psoriasis and other autoimmune disorders.
- 09/20 - Allergan plc (NYSE: AGN) agreed to acquire Tobira Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: TBRA) for an upfront payment of $28.35 per share, in cash, and up to $49.84 per share in Contingent Value Rights (CVRs). Total potential consideration is up to $1.695 billion. Tobira is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing therapies for non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and other liver diseases.
- 09/20 - Allergan (NYSE: AGN) agreed to acquire Akarna Therapeutics Ltd., a privately held biopharmaceutical company focused on developing novel small molecule therapeutics that target inflammatory and fibrotic diseases, for an up-front payment of $50 million plus milestones.
The total dollar amount of these recently announced deals (including full CVRs) adds up to potentially ~$2.5 billion, leaving a war chest of at least $26.5 billion.
While all of Allergan's recently announced deals have been small bolt-on ones, other pharma companies know that Allergan is a big buyer in the room, which could bid up prices for many deals. Also, notably two of the deals focused on NASH.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Pandora (P) Advisers Said to Begin Reaching Out to Possible Suitors Following Approach from Sirius (SIRI) - Bloomberg
- Ingram Micro (IM)/Tianjin Deal Said to Receive Approval from China's SAFE - DealReporter
- Neovasc (NVCN) Agrees to Sell Tissue Processing Tech to Boston Scientific (BSX) in $75M Deal
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesMergers and Acquisitions, Rumors, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!