AIG in talks to sell Lloyd's insurance business to CPPIB: WSJ
- Wall St. set to rise ahead of Trump inauguration
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Herbalife (HLF) Says SEC Requested Documents on Anti-Corruption Compliance in China; Reviewed with DoJ
- Investment Focus: History suggests Trump month will be stocks down, dollar up
- General Electric (GE) Reports In-Line Q4 EPS
The AIG logo is seen at its building in New York's financial district March 19, 2015. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Reuters) - American International Group Inc (NYSE: AIG) is in early talks to sell Lloyd's of London Ltd's [SOLYD.UL] insurance operations to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB), the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.
If the deal comes through, it could fetch the insurance conglomerate hundreds of millions of dollars in proceeds, the Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter. (http://on.wsj.com/2bfo1gj)
CPPIB is also in talks to buy a related reinsurance company based in Bermuda, the WSJ reported.
AIG and CPPIB declined to comment.
AIG, the largest commercial insurer in North America, has been cutting jobs and trying to restructure its business as part of a sweeping overhaul promised to shareholders to fend off activist investor Carl Icahn, who had urged the company to break into three.
The insurer said last week that it would sell its mortgage-guaranty unit to Arch Capital Group Ltd (NASDAQ: ACGL) for about $3.4 billion.
The CPPIB, which manages Canada's national pension fund, had said earlier this month that Britain's decision to leave the European Union had curbed gains in its investments during the latest quarter would create more uncertainty down the line.
(Reporting by Nikhil Subba in Bengaluru; Editing by Shounak Dasgupta and Savio D'Souza)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Fairfax may sell 25 percent of India's ICICI Lombard in up to $1 billion deal: sources
- Ethicon Announces Acquisition of Megadyne Medical Products (JNJ)
- UPDATE: Federal Judge to Block Anthem (ANTM), Cigna Corp. (CI) Merger - NYP
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesMergers and Acquisitions, Reuters, Rumors
Related EntitiesCarl Icahn, Layoffs
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!