Is Warren Buffett Ready to Use His Elephant Gun Again?
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
With its quarterly results Friday, Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK-A) (NYSE: BRK-B) disclosed it has a record $85 billion of cash on hand, up $13 billion from the $72 billion at the end of 2015. This suggests to analysts at Barclays that Mr. Buffett has about $60 billion immediately deployable for acquisitions. As would be expected, this has the rumor mill buzzing.
Buffett's hometown paper, Omaha World-Herald, recently speculated that with the money Buffett & Co. could buy Norfolk Southern Railway (NYSE: NSC), Dr Pepper/Snapple (NYSE: DPS) and the Kroger (NYSE: KR)... or Dollar Tree (NASDAQ: DLTR), Principal Financial Group (NYSE: PFG) and Phillips 66 (NYSE: PFX)... or Estee Lauder (NYSE: EL), Weyerhaeuser (NYSE: WY) and AutoZone (NYSE: AZO).
Other companies that have been mentioned in the past as Buffett targets include:
- General Mills (NYSE: GIS)
- McCormick & Co. (NYSE: MKC)
- J. M. Smucker (NYSE: SJM)
- Kansas City Southern (NYSE: KSU)
- BorgWarner (NYSE: BWA)
- Hormel Foods (NYSE: HRL)
- Kellogg (NYSE: K)
It is anyone's guess when Buffett will strike, but with that much cash on the books it will likely be sooner rather than later.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Time's (TIME) Sports Illustrated Names LeBron James as the 2016 Sportsperson of the Year
- GlobalWafers Announces Completion of SunEdison Semi (SEMI) Acquisition
- Praxair (PX), Linde Said Close to Restarting Merger Talks
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesInsiders' Blog, Rumors
Related EntitiesWarren Buffett, Barclays
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!