Is Warren Buffett Ready to Use His Elephant Gun Again?
- Wall Street dips on Trump protectionism, Qualcomm drag
- Yahoo! (YHOO) Tops Q4 EPS by 4c; Sees Verizon Deal Closing in Q2, Not Q1
- Aetna's (AET) Humana (HUM) Takeover Blocked by Judge as Anticompetative
- Trump signs order withdrawing U.S. from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- After-Hours Stock Movers 1/23: (REXX) (MRCY) (SYNC) Higher; (FSM) (OCUL) (CASC) Lower (more...)
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
With its quarterly results Friday, Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK-A) (NYSE: BRK-B) disclosed it has a record $85 billion of cash on hand, up $13 billion from the $72 billion at the end of 2015. This suggests to analysts at Barclays that Mr. Buffett has about $60 billion immediately deployable for acquisitions. As would be expected, this has the rumor mill buzzing.
Buffett's hometown paper, Omaha World-Herald, recently speculated that with the money Buffett & Co. could buy Norfolk Southern Railway (NYSE: NSC), Dr Pepper/Snapple (NYSE: DPS) and the Kroger (NYSE: KR)... or Dollar Tree (NASDAQ: DLTR), Principal Financial Group (NYSE: PFG) and Phillips 66 (NYSE: PFX)... or Estee Lauder (NYSE: EL), Weyerhaeuser (NYSE: WY) and AutoZone (NYSE: AZO).
Other companies that have been mentioned in the past as Buffett targets include:
- General Mills (NYSE: GIS)
- McCormick & Co. (NYSE: MKC)
- J. M. Smucker (NYSE: SJM)
- Kansas City Southern (NYSE: KSU)
- BorgWarner (NYSE: BWA)
- Hormel Foods (NYSE: HRL)
- Kellogg (NYSE: K)
It is anyone's guess when Buffett will strike, but with that much cash on the books it will likely be sooner rather than later.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Berkshire (BRK-a) Unit MiTek Acquires Wrightsoft
- Ixia (XXIA) Said to Get Buyout Interest from Thoma Bravo, Silver Lake, Vista - Bloomberg
- Duke Realty (DRE) PT Lowered to $25 at Barclays
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesInsiders' Blog, Rumors
Related EntitiesWarren Buffett, Barclays
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!