Is Warren Buffett Ready to Use His Elephant Gun Again?
- Wall Street again marks new highs in post-election run
- Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) Tops Q4 EPS by 11c
- Restoration Hardware (RH) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Guides Well Below the Street
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 12/8: (COOL) (TLRD) (DRAM) Higher; (SHIP) (OHRP) (MLSS) Lower
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/08: (FNSR) (AVGO) (GLPG) Higher; (XTLY) (RH) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
With its quarterly results Friday, Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK-A) (NYSE: BRK-B) disclosed it has a record $85 billion of cash on hand, up $13 billion from the $72 billion at the end of 2015. This suggests to analysts at Barclays that Mr. Buffett has about $60 billion immediately deployable for acquisitions. As would be expected, this has the rumor mill buzzing.
Buffett's hometown paper, Omaha World-Herald, recently speculated that with the money Buffett & Co. could buy Norfolk Southern Railway (NYSE: NSC), Dr Pepper/Snapple (NYSE: DPS) and the Kroger (NYSE: KR)... or Dollar Tree (NASDAQ: DLTR), Principal Financial Group (NYSE: PFG) and Phillips 66 (NYSE: PFX)... or Estee Lauder (NYSE: EL), Weyerhaeuser (NYSE: WY) and AutoZone (NYSE: AZO).
Other companies that have been mentioned in the past as Buffett targets include:
- General Mills (NYSE: GIS)
- McCormick & Co. (NYSE: MKC)
- J. M. Smucker (NYSE: SJM)
- Kansas City Southern (NYSE: KSU)
- BorgWarner (NYSE: BWA)
- Hormel Foods (NYSE: HRL)
- Kellogg (NYSE: K)
It is anyone's guess when Buffett will strike, but with that much cash on the books it will likely be sooner rather than later.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Berkshire Hathaway (BRK-A) Book Value Could Be Boosted by $29B from Trump Tax Plan - Analyst
- Barclays Predicts Crown Holdings (CCK) will Shrink Stock Valuation Gap with Ball Corp. (BLL)
- Barclays Downgrades Investors Bancorp (ISBC) to Underweight
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesInsiders' Blog, Rumors
Related EntitiesWarren Buffett, Barclays
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!