McDonald's Corp (MCD) Global Comps Rose 1.2% in April; APMEA Up 2.9%
- Top 10 News for 11/17 - 11/21: Halliburton's Big Buy; Japan Back in Recession; China Cuts Key Rate
- China Cuts Benchmark Rate Amid Weaknening Growth Prospects; Markets React (FXI)
- Dow Chemical (DOW), Third Point Enter Agreement; Four New Independent Directors Added
- Large Cut from OPEC Would Be 'Self-Negating', Says Goldman Sachs
- UPDATE: Volkswagen AG (VLKAY) Will Invest EUR 85.6B Over Next 5Y in Auto Ops - Bloomberg
McDonald's Corp (NYSE: MCD) announced that global comparable sales increased 1.2% in April. Performance by segment was as follows:
- U.S. was flat
- Europe up 0.3%
- Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa (APMEA) up 2.9%
"We are strengthening our business plans by emphasizing customer-driven strategies," said McDonald's President and Chief Executive Officer Don Thompson. "We remain focused on delivering an outstanding restaurant experience by serving our customers their favorite McDonald's food and drinks and offering compelling value, choice and convenience to create easy, memorable experiences."
In April, U.S. comparable sales were flat as industry dynamics remained challenging. McDonald's U.S. remains focused on strengthening its appeal to customers through quality food, outstanding service and good value. During the month, the U.S. featured McDonald's popular breakfast options complemented by a McCafé coffee promotion and introduced a new premium sandwich, the Bacon Clubhouse.
Europe's comparable sales rose 0.3% in April as positive performance in the U.K. and France was mostly offset by negative results in Germany. Strong promotional performance, value menu enhancements and growth at breakfast contributed to the segment's results.
Comparable sales in APMEA increased 2.9% in April. Strong results in China, including comparison against the prior year impact from Avian influenza, and positive results in Australia and many other markets were partially offset by ongoing weakness in Japan. Convenience initiatives, enhanced value offerings and McDonald's menu variety contributed to the segment's monthly performance.
Systemwide sales for the month increased 2.5%, or 3.7% in constant currencies.
Month ended April 30,
Year-To-Date April 30,
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Walmart Selects SolarCity (SCTY) and SunEdison (SUNE) for Massive Solar Project
- Scientific Games (SGMS), Bally Technologies Complete Merger
- AbbVie's (ABBV) VIEKIRAX + EXVIERA Recieves Positive Opinions from CHMP
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesHot Corp. News, Management Comments, Retail Sales
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!