FTC Requests Additional Info from Reynolds American (RAI), Lorillard (LO) on Pending Deal
- Top 10 News for 11/17 - 11/21: Halliburton's Big Buy; Japan Back in Recession; China Cuts Key Rate
- China Cuts Benchmark Rate Amid Weaknening Growth Prospects; Markets React (FXI)
- Dow Chemical (DOW), Third Point Enter Agreement; Four New Independent Directors Added
- Large Cut from OPEC Would Be 'Self-Negating', Says Goldman Sachs
- UPDATE: Volkswagen AG (VLKAY) Will Invest EUR 85.6B Over Next 5Y in Auto Ops - Bloomberg
Reynolds American Inc. (NYSE: RAI) and Lorillard, Inc. (NYSE: LO) announced that each company has received a request for additional information ("second request") from the Federal Trade Commission ("FTC") in connection with Reynolds American's pending acquisition of Lorillard and divestiture of select brands to Imperial Tobacco Group, PLC (LON: IMT). The second request was issued under notification requirements of the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976, as amended (the "HSR Act") and is a normal part of the regulatory review process.
The effect of the second request is to extend the waiting period imposed by the HSR Act until 30 days after Reynolds American and Lorillard have substantially complied with the request, unless that period is extended voluntarily by both parties or terminated sooner by the FTC. Reynolds American and Lorillard will continue to cooperate fully with the FTC as it conducts its review of the proposed acquisition and divestiture. In addition to the expiration of the waiting period under the HSR Act, both the Reynolds American acquisition of Lorillard as well as the Imperial transaction remain subject to shareholder and other approvals, as well as other customary closing conditions. The companies continue to expect the transactions to close in the first half of 2015.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Scientific Games (SGMS), Bally Technologies Complete Merger
- Alcoa (AA) Closes Firth Rixson Acquisition
- Blackstone (BX) to Acquire GE Japan Corp.'s Residential Real Estate Business in YEN 190B Deal
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesHot Corp. News, Litigation, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!