Bill Ackman Backed Into a Corner on Herbalife (HLF), Icahn Tells CNBC
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
(Updated - August 30, 2016 12:47 PM EDT)
Bill Ackman is the one backed into a corner on Herbalife (NYSE: HLF), Carl Icahn told CNBC a few short days after the billionaire raised his stake the embattled nutrition company by 2.3 million shares and denied reports he was looking to sell his large stake in the company.
"If anyone should feel boxed in, it's Ackman," Icahn said in an exclusive interview with CNBC.com.
"Ackman is an astute student of the market, as I am, and I think he would probably agree that there is very rarely if ever a company with the short interest as it was just announced of 27.2 million shares of the 92 million shares outstanding. Of the 92 million, there 20 percent to 25 percent that are closely held."
He added, "I don't believe any professional short-sellers, would ever take a position in a company with these numbers... As the old saying goes, fools will go where angels fear to tread."
With the comments, Icahn is hinting at a short squeeze in the stock, which StreetInsider discussed yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Herbalife (HLF) Says SEC Requested Documents on Anti-Corruption Compliance in China; Reviewed with DoJ
- Herbalife's (HLF) Debt Package News Seen as 'Enormous Positive' at Pivotal Research
- Herbalife (NYSE: HLF) volatility low into disclosed that the SEC has requested documents and other information
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesHedge Funds, Short Sales, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesCarl Icahn, William Ackman
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!