Bill Ackman Backed Into a Corner on Herbalife (HLF), Icahn Tells CNBC
- Wall Street again marks new highs in post-election run
- Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) Tops Q4 EPS by 11c
- Restoration Hardware (RH) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Guides Well Below the Street
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 12/8: (COOL) (TLRD) (DRAM) Higher; (SHIP) (OHRP) (MLSS) Lower
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/08: (FNSR) (AVGO) (GLPG) Higher; (XTLY) (RH) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
(Updated - August 30, 2016 12:47 PM EDT)
Bill Ackman is the one backed into a corner on Herbalife (NYSE: HLF), Carl Icahn told CNBC a few short days after the billionaire raised his stake the embattled nutrition company by 2.3 million shares and denied reports he was looking to sell his large stake in the company.
"If anyone should feel boxed in, it's Ackman," Icahn said in an exclusive interview with CNBC.com.
"Ackman is an astute student of the market, as I am, and I think he would probably agree that there is very rarely if ever a company with the short interest as it was just announced of 27.2 million shares of the 92 million shares outstanding. Of the 92 million, there 20 percent to 25 percent that are closely held."
He added, "I don't believe any professional short-sellers, would ever take a position in a company with these numbers... As the old saying goes, fools will go where angels fear to tread."
With the comments, Icahn is hinting at a short squeeze in the stock, which StreetInsider discussed yesterday.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- AutoZone (AZO), Others Weaker Following Carl Icahn Comments
- Honeywell (HON) puts more active than calls a day after on speculation of activist investor position
- Las Vegas Sands (LVS) options active on Chinese government to slash Macau ATM withdrawal limit, SCMP reports
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesHedge Funds, Short Sales, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesCarl Icahn, William Ackman
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!