Atmel Corp (ATML) to Acquire Newport Media in $170M Deal
- Wall Street climbs in wake of first presidential face-off
- Nike (NKE) Tops Q1 EPS by 17c; Futures Orders Miss Views
- Tempur Sealy (TPX) Updates on Outlook; Sees Q3 Sales Below Prior Expectations
- Galectin (GALT) Reports Exploratory Phase 2a Pilot Trial of GR-MD-02 in Nash Misses Primary Biomarker Endpoint; Announces $1.5M Private Placement
- After-Hours Stock Movers 09/27: (SEED) (GALE) (CTAS) Higher; (GALT) (TPX) (NKE) Lower (more...)
Atmel Corp (NASDAQ: ATML) announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Newport Media, Inc. ("NMI"), a leading provider of high performance low power Wi-Fi and Bluetooth solutions, that will enable Atmel to offer the industry's most complete wireless portfolio of smart connected devices for the "Internet of Things."
Adding to Atmel's already broad SmartConnect™ wireless portfolio, NMI's 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth certified products offer innovative, highly integrated solutions that will accelerate seamless communication and connectivity for the Internet of Things. NMI's products combined with Atmel's ultra-low power microcontrollers are designed for a broad spectrum of applications including industrial, home and building automation, and consumer products requiring smaller form factors and longer battery life.
The purchase price is $140 million cash, subject to working capital adjustments, plus an additional earn-out of up to $30 million to be paid subject to achievement of future revenue thresholds over two years. The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including anti-trust review, and is expected to close during the third calendar quarter. Atmel will fund the transaction with cash on hand and borrowings under its existing credit facility.
NMI recorded $43 million in annual revenue during 2013 and the acquisition is expected to be accretive to Atmel's non-GAAP financials in the second half of 2015.
"This acquisition immediately adds 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth to our offerings and will accelerate our introduction of low-energy Bluetooth products," said Steve Laub Atmel's President and CEO. "Combined with our existing Wi-Fi and Zigbee solutions and industry leading microcontroller portfolio, Atmel is positioned for substantial growth in the Internet of Things marketplace."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Shell Midstream Partners (SHLX) Acquires Interests in Mars Oil Pipeline, Odyssey Pipeline
- Boston Scientific (BSX) to Acquire EndoChoice (GI) in ~$210M Deal
- Rice Energy (RICE): Consolidating Marcellus With Vantage Acquisition - Jefferies
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesGuidance, Management Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!