Wells Fargo CFO says accounts scandal won't hit profit much: WSJ
- Wall Street dips as telecoms slump; AmEx surges
- Microsoft (MSFT) Tops Q1 EPS by 8c
- AMD (AMD) Posts Q3 Operating EPS of 3c; Sees Q4 Revenue Down Sequentially
- AT&T (T) Said to Discuss Idea of Takeover in Time Warner (TWX) Meetings
- After-Hours Stock Movers 10/20: (CERC) (ALKS) (PFPT) (MSFT) Higher; (SKX) (RRGB) (AMD) Lower (more...)
Protestors gather outside the Wells Fargo & Co corporate campus in Manhattan, New York City, U.S., October 6, 2016. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
(Reuters) - Wells Fargo & Co's (NYSE: WFC) chief financial officer said efforts by states to penalize its business over an unauthorized-accounts scandal would not affect third-quarter earnings "much", the Wall Street Journal reported, citing a recording of an internal call.
John Shrewsberry was recorded as saying the bank would only take "some legal set-asides" but publicizing this "might incentivize people to do more, to make it tougher on Wells Fargo ...," the Journal reported. (http://on.wsj.com/2dYxDOY)
The hour-long call with 500 senior Wells Fargo executives took place on Monday and was intended to lay out the bank's strategy to move past the scandal, the newspaper reported.
Wells Fargo representatives were not immediately available for comment.
The bank has been under pressure to show that it is ready to make amends and hold management accountable after government investigations revealed that some of its employees had opened as many as 2 million accounts without customers' knowledge or permission in order to meet sales targets.
Executives were also recorded as saying that growth in Wells Fargo's new retail banking business would likely decline due to the scandal, the Journal reported.
(Reporting by Sruthi Shankar and Nikhil Subba; Editing by Ted Kerr)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Crown Castle (CCI) Misses Q3 AFFO by 2c, Revenues Beats
- athenahealth (ATHN) Tops Q3 EPS by 13c; Forges New Partnership with Tandigm Health
- Proofpoint (PFPT) Tops Q3 EPS by 14c; Guides Above the Street
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesGeneral News, Management Comments, Reuters
Related EntitiesEarnings, Wells Fargo
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!