U.S. SEC probing banks over possible mismanagement of ADRs: WSJ
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
The Bank of New York Mellon Corp. building at 1 Wall St. is seen in New York's financial district March 11, 2015. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
(Reuters) - The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is investigating whether big banks have been mishandling securities in the American Depositary Receipt (ADR) market, the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday.
The SEC has sent subpoenas to four banks over the issue - Bank of New York Mellon Corp (NYSE: BK), Citigroup Inc (NYSE: C), Deutsche Bank AG
The probe, which is looking at whether the banks have broken controls designed to prevent market abuse and tax fraud, will not necessarily result in enforcement action, the report said.
A major focus of the SEC inquiry is the "pre-release" of ADRs, where banks issue depositary receipts to investors without first having the underlying shares in their custody, the Journal reported.
That means the shares could be sold short without actually having them - a practice known as "naked short selling", which is illegal.
ADRs represent shares of foreign companies that are held in custody by U.S. banks. Trading in ADRs rather than the underlying shares reduces administration and trading costs, both for companies and for investors.
Deutsche Bank and Citigroup declined to comment on the report, while the other two banks did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
(Reporting by Nikhil Subba in Bengaluru; Editing by Sai Sachin Ravikumar)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) Sees Q4 Revenue of $1.04B, Comps Down 4.8%
- Zimmer Biomet Holdings (ZBH) Resolves Legacy Biomet FCPA Matters with DOJ and SEC
- Arcadia Biosciences (RKDA) COO to Depart
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesGeneral News, Litigation, Reuters
Related EntitiesDeutsche Bank, JPMorgan, Citi
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!