Futures, option trading volume hit record after Trump win: CME Group
- Record-setting rally pushes on as S&P ends week up 3 percent
- Trump's Cohn Pick Most Bullish Sign Yet for Banks - Cowen
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers: (IDXG) (INVN) (EBS) Higher; (SCON) (DTEA) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
(Reuters) - Combined trading volume on financial and commodity futures and options set a one-day record on Wednesday as Donald Trump's stunning U.S. presidential win triggered massive market swings, exchange operator CME Group (NASDAQ: CME) said on Thursday.
Volume across all asset classes including stocks, Treasuries and oil totaled 44,516,949 contracts on Wednesday, topping the record of 39,567,064 contracts set on Oct. 15, 2014, CME said.
On that day over two years ago, a "flash rally" hit the Treasury market in which bond prices swung wildly in a span of minutes. It remains unclear what caused the sudden move.
Late on Tuesday, stock prices worldwide plummeted and bond prices jumped as the Republican defied predictions in his victory over Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton to capture the White House.
Trump's views on trade, immigration and fiscal matters during his campaign were seen as potentially hurting the U.S. economy and stock markets.
On Wednesday, equity markets recovered as traders reconsidered a Trump administration which may promote growth through lower taxes and higher federal spending, while Treasury prices plunged as those possible policies would balloon the federal deficit, which is seen as inflationary.
(Reporting By Richard Leong; Editing by Meredith Mazzilli)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- CME Group Announces New Senior Management Positions
- CME Group Inc. Declares Annual Variable Dividend of $3.25 per Share
- Tableau Software (DATA) December calls active
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesGeneral News, Options, Reuters
Related EntitiesDonald J. Trump
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!