Apple shares perk up after strong report from iPhone chip supplier
- Wall St. opens higher as M&A activity boosts confidence
- AT&T (T) to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) for $107.50/Share
- Rockwell Collins (COL) to Acquire B/E Aerospace (BEAV) for $6.4B
- TD Ameritrade (AMTD) to Acquire Scottrade in $4B Cash & Stock Deal
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 10/24: (BEAV) (JPEP) (HLT) Higher; (BAS) (INO) (ADRO) Lower (more...)
The Apple Inc. logo is shown outside the company's 2016 Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, California, U.S. June 13, 2016. REUTERS/Stephen Lam
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
By Noel Randewich
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Shares of Apple Inc (NASDAQ: AAPL) rose 1 percent on Thursday after German supplier Dialog Semiconductor Plc said its quarterly revenue were higher than expected, adding to recent enthusiasm about demand for the newest iPhone.
With global demand for smartphones on the wane, Apple is counting on the iPhone 7 to help wrest market share from rival Samsung Electronics Co Ltd <005930.KS> and limit an expected decline in annual revenue.
Apple accounted for about 80 percent of Dialog's revenue last year, making the chipmaker's results a potential indicator of iPhone sales.
"We believe this is another confirming data point of stronger than expected iPhone demand, corroborating the U.S. carriers' reports a few weeks ago," wrote Credit Suisse analyst Kulbinder Garcha in a note to clients on Thursday.
Dialog reported preliminary third-quarter revenue that was 13 percent above the mid-point of its own outlook range, and up 5 percent year over year. It said orders for its mobile chips were brought forward due to China's National Day holiday.
With U.S. consumers less eager to replace their devices, global smartphone shipments are likely to grow less than 2 percent in 2016, compared with growth of 10 percent last year, according to market research firm IDC.
Shares of Apple were up $1.18 at $114.23.
(Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- T-Mobile beats profit estimates, raises customer additions forecast
- Credit Suisse Starts Fulgent Genetics (FLGT) at Outperform
- PayPal says some customers unable to make payments due to cyber attack on Dyn
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesGeneral News, Reuters
Related EntitiesCredit Suisse, Kulbinder Garcha
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!