Credit Suisse CEO says bank relatively well positioned for Brexit
- Wall St. slips as countdown to Trump's swearing-in begins
- Netflix, Inc. (NFLX) Tops Q4 EPS by 1c; Subs Beat Views
- Apple (AAPL) PT Raised to $140 at BofA/Merrill Lynch; iPhone 8 Will be 'Super-Long' Cycle
- Morgan Stanley Upgrades Tesla Motors (TSLA) to Overweight
- CP's (CP) Outgoing CEO Hunter Harrison, Activist Paul Hilal Said Set to Target CSX Corp. (CSX)
CEO Tidjane Thiam (R) of Swiss bank Credit Suisse awaits a news conference to present the bank's halfyear results in Zurich, Switzerland July 28, 2016. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
LONDON (Reuters) - Credit Suisse
Credit Suisse's EU investment banking business is run out of London but Thiam said the Swiss lender had already been scaling back its presence in the city.
"We had, since last year, announced a plan to reduce our footprint in London. We have eliminated about 2,000 jobs in London at this point in the year. Our strategy was to deemphasise London," he said at the Bloomberg Markets conference.
Many investment banks use their London hubs to run their EU operations, relying on the passporting system that allows them to operate across the bloc while being regulated just in Britain. The Brexit vote could threaten those arrangements, though Thiam said Credit Suisse should not face a severe hit to its business.
"We will not be very impacted by passporting. Around 15-20 pct of volumes will be impacted."
Thiam also rowed back on some cautious comments he made at a conference in London on Tuesday regarding Credit Suisse's third-quarter results, which the bank will report on Nov. 3.
"I think Q3 will be reasonable," he said. "Yesterday I gave a few warnings on Q3 but fundamentally it's still going to be a good quarter, good performance of the bank."
(Story corrects CEO quote to show 2,000 figure refers to jobs cut, not number of employees in London.)
(Reporting by Anjuli Davies and Joshua Franklin; Editing by Rachel Armstrong and David Evans)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Exclusive: Russia could rebuild fiscal reserves at $55 oil price
- Shire (SHPG) Says FDA Acknowledges Receipt of NDA for SHP465 for ADHD
- Flagstar Bancorp (FBC) Names Jennifer Whip to Board of Directors
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesForex, Management Comments, Reuters
Related EntitiesCredit Suisse
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!