Fischer says Fed 'very close' to goals for U.S. jobs, inflation
- Wall Street surges to new highs; transports set record
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Abbott (ABT) Files Complaint to Terminate Alere (ALR) Acquisition
- Costco Wholesale (COST) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c; Comps Up 1%, 2% Ex-Gas
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/07: (VYGR) (LULU) (HRB( Higher; (OHRP) (VRNT) (CMTL) Lower (more...)
Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer attends a televised interview during the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City's annual Jackson Hole Economic Policy Symposium in Jackson Hole, Wyoming August 28, 2015. REUTERS/Jonathan Crosby
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The Federal Reserve is very close to its U.S. employment and inflation targets, the Fed's vice chair said on Monday, adding he is therefore "not enthusiastic" about raising the price-level target in an attempt to spur economic growth.
"We are very close to our targets" of full employment and 2-percent inflation, said Stanley Fischer. "So we're not in deep trouble with monetary policy at the moment," he responded when asked about the concept of raising the Fed's inflation target.
(Reporting by Jonathan Spicer and Richard Leong; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Durable Goods (Oct. F) 4.6% vs 3.4% Expected; Ex-Trans 0.8% vs 0.5%
- Euro slips from three-week highs, ECB meeting in focus
- Oct. Trade Balance -$42.6B vs -$42B Expected
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesFed, Forex, Reuters
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!