Fed's Powell urges patience on U.S. rates, citing growth risks
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
- General Electric (GE) Tops Q3 EPS by 2c; Updates FY16 EPS Outlook
- Microsoft (MSFT) Tops Q1 EPS by 8c
- Oil rises on Russia's output freeze commitment
- AMD (AMD) Posts Q3 Operating EPS of 3c; Sees Q4 Revenue Down Sequentially
Jerome Powell delivers remarks during a conference at the Brookings Institution in Washington August 3, 2015. REUTERS/Carlos Barria
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
LONDON (Reuters) - The U.S. economy is at increasing risk of becoming trapped in a prolonged phase of slow growth that points to the need for lower interest rates than previously expected, Federal Reserve policymaker Jerome Powell was quoted as saying.
Powell, a member of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors, told the Financial Times he favored a "very gradual" path for any rises as U.S. economic outlook was dogged by global risks.
"The probability of an era of weaker growth, lower potential growth - that worries me more than it used to," he was quoted as saying in Monday's edition of the newspaper.
"With inflation below target, I think we can be patient."
Powell spoke on Thursday, the day before strong U.S. nonfarm payrolls numbers for July led to markets ramping up bets on a U.S. rate rise this year.
(Reporting by John Stonestreet Editing by Jeremy Gaunt)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Fed Beige Book Says Job Market Tight; Outlooks Mostly Positive
- Initial Jobless Claims 260K vs 250K Expected
- Draghi says an abrupt end to QE is unlikey
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesFed, Forex, Reuters
Related EntitiesNonfarm Payrolls, Jerome Powell
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!