Fed's Kaplan says U.S. needs 'intelligent' fiscal policy
- Wall Street again marks new highs in post-election run
- Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) Tops Q4 EPS by 11c
- Restoration Hardware (RH) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Guides Well Below the Street
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 12/8: (COOL) (TLRD) (DRAM) Higher; (SHIP) (OHRP) (MLSS) Lower
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/08: (FNSR) (AVGO) (GLPG) Higher; (XTLY) (RH) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
WICHITA FALLS, Tex. (Reuters) - Saying the coming year under a new U.S. president will be one of "changes" for economic policy, Dallas Federal Reserve Bank President Robert Kaplan on Monday called for "intelligent" fiscal policy to boost growth over the long term.
"We are underinvested in infrastructure," Kaplan said at an economic forum hosted by the Wichita Falls Chamber of Commerce. But investments should not just bring forward future spending to the present or simply "balloon" the national debt, Kaplan said. President-elect Donald Trump has promised infrastructure spending to create roads, bridges and tunnels that are "second to none."
Kaplan also said that trade, which Trump has suggested he will restrict, has boosted U.S. jobs.
(Reporting by Ann Saphir; Editing by Andrea Ricci)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- ECB Leaves Rates Unchanged; Provides Update on Asset Purchases
- Factory Orders (Oct) 2.7% vs 2.6% Expected
- Durable Goods (Oct. F) 4.6% vs 3.4% Expected; Ex-Trans 0.8% vs 0.5%
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesFed, Forex, Reuters
Related EntitiesDonald J. Trump
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!