Fed's Kaplan says U.S. needs 'intelligent' fiscal policy
- Noble Energy (NBL) to Acquire Clayton Williams Energy (CWEI) for $2.7B in Cash and Stock
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
WICHITA FALLS, Tex. (Reuters) - Saying the coming year under a new U.S. president will be one of "changes" for economic policy, Dallas Federal Reserve Bank President Robert Kaplan on Monday called for "intelligent" fiscal policy to boost growth over the long term.
"We are underinvested in infrastructure," Kaplan said at an economic forum hosted by the Wichita Falls Chamber of Commerce. But investments should not just bring forward future spending to the present or simply "balloon" the national debt, Kaplan said. President-elect Donald Trump has promised infrastructure spending to create roads, bridges and tunnels that are "second to none."
Kaplan also said that trade, which Trump has suggested he will restrict, has boosted U.S. jobs.
(Reporting by Ann Saphir; Editing by Andrea Ricci)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Retail Sales Advance (MoM) 0.6% vs 0.7% Expected; Ex Auto 0.2% vs 0.5%
- U.S. stocks end lower, dollar sags as Trump trades ease
- Atlanta Fed trims fourth quarter 2016 U.S. GDP view to 2.8 percent
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesFed, Forex, Reuters
Related EntitiesDonald J. Trump
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!