ECB far from having to contemplate stock buys: Coeure
- Wall Street again marks new highs in post-election run
- Broadcom Ltd. (AVGO) Tops Q4 EPS by 11c
- Restoration Hardware (RH) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Guides Well Below the Street
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 12/8: (COOL) (TLRD) (DRAM) Higher; (SHIP) (OHRP) (MLSS) Lower
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/08: (FNSR) (AVGO) (GLPG) Higher; (XTLY) (RH) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
Benoit Coeure, member of the Executive Board of the European Central Bank (ECB), attends a Lamfalussy Lectures Conference in Budapest, Hungary February 1, 2016. REUTERS/Laszlo Balogh
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - The European Central Bank has never discussed buying stocks and it is far from having to contemplate such a scheme even though others, like the Bank of Japan have done it, ECB Executive Board Member Benoit Coeure said on Monday.
"It’s in theory possible... I mean we are far from being in a place where we need to do it," Coeure told university students. "It’s clearly not in the discussion today, we’ve never discussed it."
The ECB will at some point start winding down its extraordinary policy accommodation but "not yet", Coeure said, adding that the bank needs a sustained rebound in inflation before scaling back stimulus.
(Reporting by Balazs Koranyi)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- ECB Leaves Rates Unchanged; Provides Update on Asset Purchases
- Euro slips from three-week highs, ECB meeting in focus
- ECB will buy assets yielding below deposit rate - Draghi
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesFed, Forex, Reuters, Trader Talk
Related EntitiesEuropean Central Bank
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!