Lorillard (LO) Encouraged Proposed e-Cigarette Regulations Reflect Potential for Reduced Harm
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Lorillard, Inc. (NYSE: LO), the third largest tobacco company in the United States and owner of blu eCigs, the leading U.S. electronic cigarette company, responded to proposed regulations published today by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regarding the electronic cigarette industry.
Lorillard applauds the Agency's initial efforts to establish a reasonable regulatory framework for the electronic cigarette category. Lorillard has long-supported reasonable science-based regulation of electronic cigarettes such as establishing minimum age-of-purchase requirements, setting product quality and safety standards, and listing of ingredients and other relevant consumer information. In fact, while waiting for FDA guidance, blu eCigs has implemented meaningful measures to limit access of individuals under age 18 to blu eCigs' advertising and promotional activities and to prevent minors from purchasing blu eCigs' products.
"It appears that the FDA is taking a science-based approach, and that the proposed rule itself defines a constructive process that recognizes that e-cigarettes are different than combustible cigarettes. Despite what I am sure will be a robust give-and-take process over the comings months, we remain committed to our belief that electronic cigarettes represent a major opportunity to align the interests of business and public health. We look forward to working collaboratively with the FDA through the notice-and-comment rulemaking process to devise a reasonable, scientifically-based regulatory framework covering e-cigarettes," stated Murray S. Kessler, Chairman, President and CEO of Lorillard, Inc.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Shire's (SHPG) Phase 3 Investigational Study of VONVENDI Meets Primary Endpoint in Controlling Bleeding in Adults with VWD
- B&G Foods (BGS) Acquires Victoria Fine Foods for $70M
- Ignyta (RXDX) to Offer Entrectinib Combo Update in TRK Inhibition in Late-Breaking Presentation at 2016 EORTC-NCI-AACR
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesFDA, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!