Lorillard (LO) Encouraged Proposed e-Cigarette Regulations Reflect Potential for Reduced Harm
- Top 10 News for 7/28 - 8/1: FOMC Tapers Further, Rates Still Intact; Jobs Growth Elusive in July; Argentina Defaults. Again.
- July Nonfarm Payrolls 209K vs 230K Expected, UE Rate 6.2% vs 6.1%
- Procter & Gamble Co. (PG) Tops Q4 EPS by 4c
- Mobileye (MBLY) IPO Opens at $36
- GM (GM) July U.S. Auto Sales Rose 9.4%, Missing Expectations Amid Double-Digit Pickup, SUV Gains
Lorillard, Inc. (NYSE: LO), the third largest tobacco company in the United States and owner of blu eCigs, the leading U.S. electronic cigarette company, responded to proposed regulations published today by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regarding the electronic cigarette industry.
Lorillard applauds the Agency's initial efforts to establish a reasonable regulatory framework for the electronic cigarette category. Lorillard has long-supported reasonable science-based regulation of electronic cigarettes such as establishing minimum age-of-purchase requirements, setting product quality and safety standards, and listing of ingredients and other relevant consumer information. In fact, while waiting for FDA guidance, blu eCigs has implemented meaningful measures to limit access of individuals under age 18 to blu eCigs' advertising and promotional activities and to prevent minors from purchasing blu eCigs' products.
"It appears that the FDA is taking a science-based approach, and that the proposed rule itself defines a constructive process that recognizes that e-cigarettes are different than combustible cigarettes. Despite what I am sure will be a robust give-and-take process over the comings months, we remain committed to our belief that electronic cigarettes represent a major opportunity to align the interests of business and public health. We look forward to working collaboratively with the FDA through the notice-and-comment rulemaking process to devise a reasonable, scientifically-based regulatory framework covering e-cigarettes," stated Murray S. Kessler, Chairman, President and CEO of Lorillard, Inc.
You May Also Be Interested In
- Sanofi (SNY): Genzyme Receives Label Expansion for Lumizyme
- CEL-SCI Corp. (CVM) Surpasss One-Quarter Enrollment in Multikine Phase III
- UPDATE: Impax Laboratories (IPXL) Issued Form 483 Following FDA Inspection of Taiwan Facility
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesFDA, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!