Pacwest Bancorp (PACW) Tops Q3 EPS by 6c; $400M Buyback Plan
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Pacwest Bancorp (NASDAQ: PACW) reported Q3 EPS of $0.77, $0.06 better than the analyst estimate of $0.71.
On October 17, 2016, PacWest’s Board of Directors authorized a stock repurchase program, pursuant to which the Company may, from time to time, purchase shares of its common stock for an aggregate purchase price not to exceed $400 million. The common stock repurchases may be effected through open market purchases or in privately negotiated transactions, and may utilize any derivative or similar instrument to effect share repurchase transactions (including without limitation, accelerated share repurchase contracts, equity forward transactions, equity option transactions, equity swap transactions, cap transactions, collar transactions, floor transactions or other similar transactions or any combination of the foregoing transactions).
- Net Earnings of $93.9 Million, or $0.77 Per Diluted Share
- New Loan and Lease Production of $1.1 Billion for the Quarter; $101 Million of Net Loan Growth
- Core Deposit Increase of $599 Million during the Quarter Representing 77% of Total Deposits
- Tax Equivalent Net Interest Margin of 5.26%; Core Tax Equivalent Net Interest Margin of 5.08%
Matt Wagner, President and CEO, commented, “We are very pleased with our strong third quarter results which produced a return on assets of 1.77% and a return on tangible equity of 16.15%. While the current quarter benefited from lower credit costs and a lower effective tax rate, we continue to demonstrate our sustained earning power.”
Patrick Rusnak, Executive Vice President and CFO stated, “Our third quarter core tax equivalent NIM, which excludes accelerated accretion, decreased three basis points to 5.08% and our NIM excluding all purchase accounting items decreased two basis points to 4.98%. We are pleased with how our NIM has held up during this sustained period of low interest rates.”
Mr. Rusnak continued, “Third quarter loan growth fell below expectations due largely to dramatically higher prepayments in our healthcare real estate portfolio, which totaled approximately $200 million for the quarter, resulting from both refinancings and property sales. The solid originations from other lending groups, in particular Venture Banking and Construction, give us confidence that future-period loan growth will return to more normalized levels. Although nonaccrual loans increased due to the migration of a single, classified loan to nonaccrual status, total classified loans and leases decreased on a linked quarter basis as several previously classified loans paid off in full.”
Mr. Wagner continued, “Over the past few years we have significantly strengthened our company through execution on a strategy focused on profitable growth and prudent risk management. This performance, our initial DFAST stress test submission and robust capital levels have allowed the Board to authorize a stock repurchase program which provides another tool to actively manage capital levels and facilitate improved shareholder returns.”
For earnings history and earnings-related data on Pacwest Bancorp (PACW) click here.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Herbalife (HLF) Provides Q4, FY17 Guidance in Memorandum for $1.325B Credit Facility; Lowers FY17 Sales Guidance
- SunTrust Banks (STI) Tops Q4 EPS by 2c
- Regions Financial (RF) Reports In-Line Q4 EPS
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesEarnings, Management Comments, Stock Buybacks
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!