Notable ETF Movers of the Day 06/22: (XLF) (UNG) (USO) Higher; (VXX) (SLV) Lower
- Apple, Inc. (AAPL) Tops Q2 EPS by $1.44; Announces 7-for-1 Stock Split
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 04/24: (KOOL) (SGYP) (MPET) Higher; (HEAR) (CLFD) (SILC) Lower
- Apple (AAPL) a Shoe-In for the Dow Amid Stock Split
- Zimmer (ZMH) to Acquire Biomet in ~$13.35B Deal
- UPS (UPS) Misses Q1 EPS by 10c; Sees FY14 EPS at Low-End of Range
- Financial Select Sector SPDR (NYSE: XLF) up 0.53 percent to $14.28. Following the much-anticipated downgrade by ratings firm Moody's to large banks, investors are breathing a sigh of relief. Long-term senior debt ratings were cut on 15 banks in all, ranging from one to three notches.
Leading the sector higher is JPMorgan (NYSE: JPM), shares up 2.2 percent on the session Friday.
- United States Natural Gas (NYSE: UNG) up 2.35 percent to $18.30. Is it hot in here, or is it just natural gas? Traders are scooping up the commodity heading into the weekend, as sweltering heat should subside for most of the U.S. but a low-pressure storm may be forming near Mexico's Yucatan peninsula. The National Hurricane Center sees that activity as having a 70 percent change of forming a tropical storm.
- United States Oil (NYSE: USO) up 1.04 percent to $29.76. With crude prices at 8-month lows, some traders might be getting in as a speculative play. The combination of high stockpiles and production, along with lagging demand, is creating a "perfect storm" of sorts for prices to move lower. However, many key economic indicators, plus the ECB moving to ease collateral rules for banks, may be enough for contracts to see some upside on expectations of increased demand.
- iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE: VXX) down 3.45 percent to $17.09. The CBOE VIX is about 6 percent lower as complacency returns to the marketplace Friday.
- iShares Silver Trust (NYSE: SLV) down 0.74 percent to $25.93. Despite gold also slipping, silver is lower following manufacturing data out of giants China and Germany. Due to the diversified nature of silver's use in both industries, the precious metal is more susceptible to manufacturing and economic data than its popular peer.
For June, China's HSBC Flash PMI fell to 48.1 from 48.4 last month. Data from Markit estimates that German manufacturing will shrink for the fourth month in June, falling to 44.7 from 45.2 in May.
You May Also Be Interested In
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 04/23: (HGT) (XOOM) (GWPH) Higher; (ZHNE) (UIS) (CREE) Lower
- UPDATE: JPMorgan Upgrades Gogo (GOGO) to Overweight
- Notable Analyst Rating Changes 04/16: (SFUN) (TWTR) (YELP) Upgraded; (INTC) (UNH) (GDP) Downgraded
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesETFs, Special Reports
Related EntitiesJPMorgan, Citi, Bank of America, Standard & Poor's, HSBC, Crude Oil, Notable ETF Movers
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!