Notable ETF Movers of the Day 05/17: (GLD) (XLE) (VXX) Higher; (UNG) (XHB) Lower
- Tech shares and flaccid GDP growth push S&P 500 to record
- Private equity firms focused on Hewlett Packard asset sales: sources
- Tesla (TSLA) Gains as Panasonic Seeks to Raise $3.9B for Gigafactory
- Zika-Related Stocks Gain on Florida Mosquito-Borne Zika Cases (CERS) (INO) (XON)
- Herbalife (HLF) Said Considering Stock Buybacks, Other Options to Pressure 'Ack Attack'
- SPDR Gold Shares (NYSE: GLD) up 2.25 percent to $152.82. Gold seeing a little bit of a squeeze Thursday following four days of weakness on news out of Europe. In addition, yesterday's FOMC Minutes might be spurring some purchases, with the Fed affirming that not easing would take place with signs of economic recovery being disrupted.
- Energy Select Sector SPDR (NYSE: XLE) up 0.22 percent to $64.89. Energy stocks getting a lift on rebounding commodities prices on an expecting increase in demand. This comes as a Spanish bond auction saw its yield jump markedly and economic data from initial claims to the Philly Fed all came in missing expectations.
- iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE: VXX) up 1.64 percent to $20.40. The CBOE VIX is moving about 3 percent higher Thursday as a Spanish bond auction saw its yield jump markedly and economic data from initial claims to the Philly Fed all came in missing expectations. U.S. markets are all on the low side once again.
- United States Natural Gas (NYSE: UNG) down 3.45 percent to $18.17. Nat gas lower fllowing reports that nat gas stockpiles rose 61 billion cubic feet to 2.667 trillion cubic feet last week. The Street was looking for a rise in the range of 52 to 56 bcf.
June nat gas contracts are down $.078 to $2.540 per mmBtu on the Comex.
- SPDR S&P Homebuilders (NYSE: XHB) down 4.59 percent to $20.09. Homebuilders giving more back Thursday on economic data. The ETF has been caught in somewhat of a limbo as housing data has failed to inspire buying back into the sector.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- FOMC Maintains Rates (Full Statement)
- U of M Sentiment (July F) 90 vs 90.2 Expected
- Volatility indexes prices
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesETFs, Special Reports
Related EntitiesFOMC Minutes, Federal Open Market Committee, Standard & Poor's, Notable ETF Movers
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!