Notable ETF Movers of the Day 04/20: (SPY) (USO) Higher; (VXX) (SMH) Lower
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
- SPDR S&P 500 (NYSE: SPY) up 0.73 percent to $138.73. U.S. indices trend higher after earnings from blue chip names like Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT), McDonald's (NYSE: MCD), and General Electric (NYSE: GE) beat expectations. Some are also saying its a bit of a relief rally in the markets following downside in the first-half of April. Eyes remain on Spain and the rest of Europe, who seem to be continuously battling with borrowing costs as sentiment about the ability to repay debt wanes.
- United States Oil (NYSE: USO) up 1.35 percent to $39.49. Crude contracts climbing on U.S. earnings as well as some data out of Europe. According to Germany's lfo, business confidence rose from 109.8 in March to 109.9 in April.
Meanwhile, retail sales in the U.K. popped 1.8 percent in March, from February, besting views calling for a 0.8 percent gain.
Crude June contracts are $1.42 better to $104.14 per barrel on the Comex.
- iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (NYSE: VXX) down 3.70 percent to $17.70. The CBOE VIX is trading 6 percent lower on the session as earnings propel stocks Friday with little in the way of economic data.
- Market Vectors Semiconductor ETF (NYSE: SMH) down 0.78 percent to $34.37. The semi space lower today led by Altera (Nasdaq: ALTR), which reported first-quarter EPS of 35 cents and revs of $383.8 million Thursday night, both missing expectations. Altera is well over 6 percent lower Friday afternoon.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Signet Jewelers (SIG) May Be Close To Selling Credit Business, Likely Positive For Stock - Northcoast Research
- Bassett Furniture (BSET) PT Raised to $28 at Stifel Following 4Q EPS Beat
- Amaya (AYA) Sees Higher 2016 Revs, EBITDA, EPS; CFO Daniel Sebag to Retire
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesETFs, Special Reports
Related EntitiesStandard & Poor's, Crude Oil, Notable ETF Movers, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!