Notable ETF Movers of the Day 03/21: (XHB) (USO) (XLK) Higher; (VXX) (UNG) Lower
- Wall St. falls as consumer, energy shares drag
- Bayer to Offer $135/Share in Sweetened Bid for Monsanto (MON) - Source
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 5/31: (BOSC) (CPXX) CLF) High; (STEM) (CCE) (OSIR) Lower
- Jazz Pharma (JAZZ) Confirms Agreement to Acquire Celator Pharma (CPXX) for $30.25/Share, or ~$1.5B
- Today's 3 Stealth Growth Ideas
- SPDR Series Trust SPDR Homebuilders (NYSE: XHB) up 1.22 percent to $21.63. Amid soft housing data today, Masco Corp. (NYSE: MAS) is making a solid move to the upside and approaching a 52-week high in the process. Shares are 4.6 percent better as the company gets above the $14 price level, following a solid move for the large part of March. Shares are about 1.3 percent off of a new high.
The sale of homes already on the market dipped to an annual pace of 4.59 million in February, missing economist views calling for 4.60 million. January saw an annual pace of 4.63 million.
- United States Oil Fund (NYSE: USO) up 1.04 percent to $40.85. Crude bouncing following a dip Tuesday on word that Saudi Arabia would pick-up output if needed to keep supplies up. Today, EIA data showed a 1.2 million barrel drop in stockpiles last week, opposite a 2.1 million barrel increase expected on the Street.
Crude May contracts are $0.95 higher to $107.02 per barrel on the Comex.
- SPDR Select Sector Fund - Technology (NYSE: XLK) up 0.21 percent to $30.13. Though many tech firms are mixed today, Oracle's (Nasdaq: ORCL) third-quarter results coupled with continued strength in Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) is enough to drive the ETF higher.
Apple is up 0.1 percent while Orcale is up twice that on the session.
- iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Fund (NYSE: VXX) down 3.27 percent to $18.69. The CBOE VIX near-term index is lower as investor complacency increases on comments from Fed Chief Ben Bernanke before the Committee of Government Oversight and Reform as well as slightly rebounding crude prices and housing data showing a slight miss in existing sales.
- United States Natural Gas Fund (NYSE: UNG) down 0.66 percent to $18.16. Nat gas moving lower on the session as preliminary estimates have stockpiles increasing 9 billion cubic feet last week. The EIA will release its nat gas data Thursday. Prices have been pressure as stores have increased on unseasonably warmer weather across much of the U.S.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- S&P/ Case-Shiller 20-City Index (MoM) 0.85% vs 0.77% Expected
- Streetinsider.com's Hot Lunchtime Reads 5/26: (TSLA) (CBL) (ALNY) (PVH)
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 05/25: (CSC) (SRPT) (HPE) Higher; (EXPR) (CBL) (BCEI) Lower (more...)
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesETFs, Special Reports
Related EntitiesBen S. Bernanke, Standard & Poor's, Crude Oil, Notable ETF Movers
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!