Xilinx (XLNX) FPGAs Now Being Utilized by Baidu (BIDU)
- Wall Street dips as telecoms slump; AmEx surges
- Microsoft (MSFT) Tops Q1 EPS by 8c
- AMD (AMD) Posts Q3 Operating EPS of 3c; Sees Q4 Revenue Down Sequentially
- AT&T (T) Said to Discuss Idea of Takeover in Time Warner (TWX) Meetings
- After-Hours Stock Movers 10/20: (CERC) (ALKS) (PFPT) (MSFT) Higher; (SKX) (RRGB) (AMD) Lower (more...)
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
Xilinx, Inc. (Nasdaq: XLNX) announced that Baidu, Inc. (Nasdaq: BIDU), the leading Chinese language Internet search provider, is utilizing Xilinx FPGAs to accelerate machine learning applications in their data centers in China. The two companies are collaborating to further expand volume deployment of FPGA-based accelerated platforms. As rapid growth of emerging applications begins to drive up computational workloads, data centers are turning to application accelerators to keep up with the demands for greater throughput at low latency while retaining practical power levels.
Xilinx FPGAs deliver the power efficiency that makes accelerators practical to deploy throughout the data center and can deliver a 10-20X performance/watt improvement. Baidu-optimized FPGA platforms are tuned for machine learning applications such as image and speech recognition. The platforms will also be leveraged in Baidu's initiative to develop commercially viable autonomous cars. When deployed in Baidu data centers, a powerful centralized pool of accelerators can be rapidly configured for the most demanding workloads based on user demand.
"Acceleration is essential to keep up with the rapidly increasing data center workloads that support our growth," said Yang Liu, Executive Director at Baidu.
"Xilinx FPGAs are assisting greatly with this critical task and can provide significant value in the design of autonomous vehicles," added Junwei Bao, Director in Baidu's Autonomous Driving Unit.
"The momentum for FPGA-based acceleration continues as shown by this significant implementation with Baidu," said Victor Peng, Executive Vice President and GM of the Programmable Products Group at Xilinx. "We celebrate Baidu's innovation, expertise and creativity in bringing advanced applications to market."
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Whole Foods Market (WFM) Says It's Cooperating Fully with Detroit Health Department Following Case of Hepatitis A
- Alimera Sciences (ALIM) Unit Amends Term Loan with Hercules Capital
- Gilead Sciences (GILD) Announces Tipline Data from Four Sofosbuvir , Velpatasvir, Voxilaprevir Phase 3s in Genotype 1 - 6 HCV
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!