Williams Partners (WPZ), Williams (WMB) to Sell Canadian Businesses in C$1.35B Deal
- Donald Trump Sworn in as 45th U.S. President
- Wall Street ends higher as Trump becomes president
- Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) Said to Face Antitrust Concern for Rite Aid (RAD) Fix - Bloomberg
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Apple (AAPL) Sues Qualcomm (QCOM) Over Patent Royalties in Antitrust Case - Bloomberg
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Williams (NYSE: WMB) and Williams Partners (NYSE: WPZ) announced today they have agreed to sell the companies’ Canadian businesses to Inter Pipeline Ltd. for combined cash proceeds of $1.35 billion CAD.
In connection with the sale, Williams agreed to waive $150 million USD of incentive distribution rights in the quarter following closing to facilitate the Partnership’s consent to the sale in recognition of the value of inter-company contracts. After taking into account this waiver, Williams Partners will receive net consideration of ~$817 Million USD and Williams will receive net consideration of ~$209 Million USD.
At closing, in compliance with certain tax rules pertaining to a sale of Canadian assets by a foreign parent, 25 percent of the proceeds will be deposited with the Canadian Revenue Authority ("CRA") or an escrow agent pending receipt of CRA tax clearance which is expected in late 2016 or early 2017. The companies do not expect a taxable gain in light of the substantial tax basis in the assets. Williams and Williams Partners plan to use the cash proceeds from the transaction to reduce borrowings on credit facilities.
“We are proud of the tremendous businesses our Canadian team has built since we first began operating in Canada in 2002,” Williams’ President and Chief Executive Officer Alan Armstrong said today. “This transaction represents significant progress on a major component of the 2016 capital and financing plan we announced in January.”
The transactions are expected to close in 2016. Closing is subject to customary closing conditions including Canadian regulatory approval. TD Securities Inc. acted as lead financial advisor to Williams on the transactions and provided fairness opinions to the board of directors of both Williams and Williams Partners that the consideration to be received under the transaction was fair, from a financial point of view, to each company respectively. Barclays acted as a co-advisor to Williams on the transactions.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Ethicon Announces Acquisition of Megadyne Medical Products (JNJ)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY), Ono Enter Settlement and License Agreement with Merck (MRK) to Resolve PD-1 Antibody Patent Litigation
- Minerva Neurosciences (NERV) Reports Additional Data Analyses From Phase IIb Trial of MIN-101 in Schizophrenia
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions, Spinoffs
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!