Williams Partners (WPZ), Williams (WMB) Complete $1.06B Canadian Assets Sale
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Williams (NYSE: WMB) and Williams Partners (NYSE: WPZ) announced the completion of the sale of their Canadian businesses to Inter Pipeline Ltd The combined cash proceeds amounted to $1.38 billion CAD between the partnership and company.
In connection with the sale, Williams agreed to waive $150 million USD of incentive distribution rights in the quarter following closing to facilitate the partnership’s consent to the sale in recognition of the value of inter-company contracts. After taking into account this waiver, the division of the combined sales price between the entities is ~$839 million USD for Williams Partners and ~$220 million USD for Williams. The partnership and the company plan to use the cash proceeds from the transactions to reduce borrowings on credit facilities.
Certain amounts are required to be withheld and deposited into escrow accounts in accordance with the sale agreements. At closing, $105 million CAD of Williams’ proceeds were placed in escrow pending the receipt of certain credits being pursued by the Canadian businesses. In compliance with certain tax rules pertaining to a sale of Canadian assets by a foreign parent, 25 percent of the total proceeds, after the withholding described above, were deposited with an escrow agent pending receipt of Canadian Revenue Agency tax clearance which is expected in late 2016 or early 2017. The company and the partnership do not expect a taxable gain on the transactions.
“Completing this transaction represents further progress on the commitment we made in early 2016 to strengthen our balance sheet and position Williams for continued growth,” said Alan Armstrong, Williams’ president and chief executive officer. “This action enhances our ability to deliver on our natural gas focused-strategy and emphasis on our core business.”
TD Securities Inc. acted as lead financial advisor and Barclays acted as a co-advisor to Williams on the transactions.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- EQT Equity Completes Press Ganey (PGND) Acquisition
- Carlyle's (CG) LDiscovery to Acquire Kroll Ontrack in $410M Deal
- Monster Worldwide (MWW) Issues Response to MediaNews Group; Says Offer Would be 'Far Less' than Randstad's
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Spinoffs
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!