UPDATE: Intel (INTC) Says Developing New Autonomous Vehicle Computing Technologies with Baidu (BIDU)
- Apple (AAPL) Tops Q4 EPS by 2c; Issues Solid Outlook
- Wall Street slips on earnings; Apple falls late after results
- Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) Posts Q3 EPS of $0.27; Comps Miss Views; Additional Stock Buyback Approved
- Pandora (P) Misses Q3 EPS by 1c, Q4 Revenue Guidance Falls Short
- After-Hours Movers 10/25: (OGXI) (AKAM) (VRTX) Higher; (EW) (NUVA) (CMG) (AAPL) Lower (more...)
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
(Updated - August 18, 2016 2:13 PM EDT)
UPDATE - Intel posted the following to its website on Thursday:
Today, at the 2016 Intel Developer Conference, senior Intel executives mapped out the company’s autonomous driving vision. The session outlined the business opportunity, headlined Intel’s end-to-end technology assets and nodded to its investment strategy.
Intel covered how it is uniquely positioned to deliver the broadest set of assets for autonomous driving, powering the intelligence behind the “things,” network and the cloud. The morning kicked off with Doug Davis, senior vice president and general manager of the Internet of Things Group. Subsequent sessions were led by, Diane Bryant, executive vice president and general manager of the Data Center Group, who connected the dots between “things” and the data center, including machine and deep learning solutions; Doug Fisher, senior vice president and general manager of the Software and Services Group, discussed the software-enabled AV future; and Asha R. Keddy, vice president of the Client and Internet of Things Businesses and Systems Architecture Group and General Manager of Next Generation and Standards, rounded out the morning summarizing network needs and the evolution of 5G.
The session webcast can be viewed on Intel’s investor relations website. Highlights include:
Market 0pportunity: 120 million vehicles with varying degrees of automation will be on our roads by 2030, creating massive societal and economic ripples. Intel shared predictions for an economic wave that could realize $1.3 trillion in savings for the U.S. economy, $507 billion gained in productivity, $488 billion in accident cost reductions and $138 billion in productivity savings from reduced congestion1.
New Customer Relationship: Baidu, China’s dominant search provider, and Intel are evaluating and developing new computing technologies in the vehicle and the data center for autonomous driving that will extend a vehicle’s capability to avoid collisions and make passengers safer.
Intel’s End-to-End Advantage: Intel illustrated how it is uniquely positioned to provide all of the components required to power fully autonomous driving with experience that spans the vehicle, communications and the data center. The discussion mirrored the company’s virtuous cycle business strategy. It touched on Intel’s diverse portfolio of power-efficient silicon, global partnerships with telecom and automotive leaders to deliver integrated 5G prototype solutions to ensure network readiness, and the promise of the data center in sufficiently storing, sharing and protecting the unprecedented rates of data that will feed deep learning algorithms to train the vehicle.
Global Design Win Momentum: Intel summarized the breadth and depth of its automotive strength across silicon, Altera field-programmable gate arrays and Wind River software systems with:
- Design Wins:
- 49 OEM Software Defined Cockpit (SDC)
- 33 tier-one suppliers
- More than 30 vehicle models on the road
- Autonomous Engagements:
- 19 OEM platforms
- 9 tier-one engagements
- 59 ecosystem partners
- Demos: A dozen demos were on display showcasing critical technologies across the full depth and breadth of Intel’s portfolio and expertise. The demos spanned in-vehicle technologies, communications and analytics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and human machine interface.
1Morgan Stanley Blue Paper, “Autonomous Cars: The Future Is Now,” Jan 23, 2015 and IHS
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Which Projects Is Intel (INTC) Ramping Spending On And Why? - Nomura
- MediaNews Commences Previously Announced Partial Tender Offer for Monster (MWW) Common Stock
- OncoGenex Pharma (OGXI) Announces Strong Survival Data from Apatorsen Phase 2 in MBC
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News
Related EntitiesMorgan Stanley
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!