Tesla's Musk buying over half of SolarCity bond offer - filing
- ECB to scale back asset buys as it extends to end-2017
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Wall Street set to open flat after record day
- Oil rallies over $50 despite OPEC output cut doubts
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 12/08: (VYGR) (TLRD) (LULU) Higher; (OHRP) (VRNT) (CMTL) Lower (more...)
Elon Musk, Chairman of SolarCity and CEO of Tesla Motors, speaks at SolarCity's Inside Energy Summit in Manhattan, New York October 2, 2015. REUTERS/Rashid Umar Abbasi/File Photo
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA) Chief Executive Elon Musk is buying $65 million of bonds from SolarCity Corp (NASDAQ: SCTY) in the latest debt offering by the solar panel company that Tesla plans to acquire for $2.6 billion, according to a filing on Tuesday.
Musk's purchase of the so-called "solar bonds" comes after money-losing SolarCity last week said it would cut operating costs to bring expenses in line with its reduced solar installation outlook.
SolarCity Chief Executive Lyndon Rive and Chief Technology Officer Peter Rive are each buying another $17.5 million of the $124 million offer, according to the SolarCity filing.
It appeared to be the first time Musk has directly purchased SolarCity bonds, although his rocket-making and space transport services company SpaceX has bought them in the past. He is the largest shareholder in Tesla and SolarCity and a cousin of the Rives.
Also on Tuesday, Tesla said an improved battery for the performance version of its Model S all-electric sedan would allow it to accelerate from 0-60 miles per hour in just 2-1/2 seconds.
(Reporting by Noel Randewich; Editing by Tom Brown)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- LinkedIn (LNKD), Microsoft (MSFT) Deal Closes
- Dataram (DRAM) Issues Update on Activity of Acquisition Target U.S. Gold Corp.
- OCI N.V. Offers to Acquire Remaining OCI Partners (OCIP) Common Units
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Reuters
Related EntitiesSecond Curve Capital, Tesla, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!