TASER Int'l (TASR) Notes NYPD's Body-Cam Selection Method Deficiencies; Offers to Donate Units
- Wall Street dips on Trump protectionism, Qualcomm drag
- Yahoo! (YHOO) Tops Q4 EPS by 4c; Sees Verizon Deal Closing in Q2, Not Q1
- Aetna's (AET) Humana (HUM) Takeover Blocked by Judge as Anticompetative
- Trump signs order withdrawing U.S. from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- After-Hours Stock Movers 1/23: (REXX) (MRCY) (SYNC) Higher; (FSM) (OCUL) (CASC) Lower (more...)
Get daily under-the-radar research with StreetInsider.com's Stealth Growth Insider Get your 2-Wk Free Trial here.
TASER International (Nasdaq: TASR) announced that on October 3, 2016, concerned that the New York City Police Department (NYPD) was about to select a body worn camera vendor without a technical field evaluation, TASER offered to provide the NYPD with 1,000 TASER Axon body cameras, software and storage, free of charge, as a gift to the City of New York.
The NYPD is one of the few major cities to select a body camera system without conducting a multi-month field test of the top scoring vendors to determine who can actually deliver on the claims they make about their solution. TASER said it would support a NYPD field test by providing free cameras and cloud-based video storage for up to one year. The cameras could be operational and out on the streets within two weeks of the NYPD's acceptance of the gift.
Today, at a public hearing held by the NYPD concerning the proposed contract, Vievu, LLC. said it would match TASER's gift. Tarey M. Gettys, Vice President and General Manager of Vievu and its parent, Safariland, said: "If the NYPD would like Vievu to provide 1,000 free cameras… we'll be happy to provide them."
"TASER's mission is to make communities safer with innovative public safety technologies," said Isaiah Fields, TASER's Vice President of Government Affairs. "We're thrilled that TASER is the catalyst for NYPD's opportunity to get 2,000 free body cameras at no cost to the community. The NYPD can use this opportunity to accelerate its body camera program with cameras out on the streets this year instead of next, in a side-by-side field trial that ensures the selection of the best technology for the City," concluded Fields.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Endo Int'l (ENDP) Agrees to Abandon Noncompetitive Pay-for-Delay in Settlement with FTC
- Time (TIME) Announces Agreement to Acquire Adelphic
- Novelion Therapeutics (NVLN) Announces Acceptance of MAA for Metreleptin
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!