Summit Therapeutics (SMMT) Receives FDA Fast Track Status for DMD Treatment
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Summit Therapeutics plc (NASDAQ: SMMT) received Fast Track designation from the US Food and Drug Administration for ezutromid in the treatment of DMD. Ezutromid is a utrophin modulator and represents a potential disease modifying treatment for all patients with the fatal muscle wasting disease DMD.
“Fast Track designation underscores the importance that the FDA places on developing new treatments for life-threatening disorders, such as DMD, and aligns well with our recently outlined strategy to accelerate the development of ezutromid to market,” said Glyn Edwards, Chief Executive Officer of Summit. “As a utrophin modulator, ezutromid has the potential to significantly advance the state of care for all patients with DMD, regardless of their underlying genetic fault. We look forward to ezutromid’s continued progress in our ongoing Phase 2 clinical trial, PhaseOut DMD.”
Fast Track is a process designed to facilitate the development and expedite the review of drugs to treat serious conditions that address an unmet medical need. Advantages of Fast Track designation include opportunities for more frequent interactions with the FDA during all aspects of development, submission of a New Drug Application (‘NDA’) on a rolling basis, and eligibility for accelerated approval and priority review. This designation is in addition to ezutromid being granted Orphan Drug designation by the FDA and the European Medicines Agency.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Announces FDA Acceptance of Opdivo sBLA as Treatment for Adv. Bladder Cancer
- Allergan (AGN) Wins FDA Panel Backing For Nocturia Treatment - Bloomberg
- FDA Grants Accelerated Approval to Lilly's (LLY) New Treatment for Advanced Soft Tissue Sarcoma
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA, Hot FDA News
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!