Summit Therapeutics (SMMT) Receives FDA Fast Track Status for DMD Treatment
- Stocks flat as earnings roll in, Comcast drags Nasdaq
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers 10/27: (PCMI) (OCN) (TTMI) Higher; (CYH) (RWLK) (AMFW) Lower
- Twitter (TWTR) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Announces Restructuring, Workforce Reduction
- Qualcomm (QCOM) to Acquire NXP Semi (NXPI) in $47B Deal
- CenturyLink (CTL) in Advanced Talks to Merge with Level 3 (LVLT) - DJ
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Summit Therapeutics plc (NASDAQ: SMMT) received Fast Track designation from the US Food and Drug Administration for ezutromid in the treatment of DMD. Ezutromid is a utrophin modulator and represents a potential disease modifying treatment for all patients with the fatal muscle wasting disease DMD.
“Fast Track designation underscores the importance that the FDA places on developing new treatments for life-threatening disorders, such as DMD, and aligns well with our recently outlined strategy to accelerate the development of ezutromid to market,” said Glyn Edwards, Chief Executive Officer of Summit. “As a utrophin modulator, ezutromid has the potential to significantly advance the state of care for all patients with DMD, regardless of their underlying genetic fault. We look forward to ezutromid’s continued progress in our ongoing Phase 2 clinical trial, PhaseOut DMD.”
Fast Track is a process designed to facilitate the development and expedite the review of drugs to treat serious conditions that address an unmet medical need. Advantages of Fast Track designation include opportunities for more frequent interactions with the FDA during all aspects of development, submission of a New Drug Application (‘NDA’) on a rolling basis, and eligibility for accelerated approval and priority review. This designation is in addition to ezutromid being granted Orphan Drug designation by the FDA and the European Medicines Agency.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- AstraZeneca (AZN) Shares Decline After Recruitment Paused in Head and Neck Cancer Trial
- Allergan (AGN) Announces Topline Relamorelin Phase 2b Data; Will Move to Acquire Motus Therapeutics
- Alexion Pharma (ALXN) Commences Two ALXN1210 Phase 3s
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA, Hot FDA News
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!