Southern Co. (SO) Unit Acquires Grant Plains Wind Facility from Apex Clean Energy
- Top 10 News for 9/19 - 9/23: Twitter on the Auction Block; Allergan Bolsters NASH Effort; Microsoft Returns Value
- Wall Street falls as energy lags; shares post gains on week
- Rumored Forever, Twitter (TWTR) May Have Finally Put the 'For Sale' Sign Up
- Facebook (FB) Shares Under Pressure on Reports Video Ad Metrics Were Artificially Inflated
- Brookfield Infrastructure (BIP)-Led Consortium to Take Controlling Stake in Petrobras' (PBR) NTS for $5.2B
Get instant alerts when news breaks on your stocks. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Southern Company subsidiary Southern Power announced the acquisition of the 147-megawatt (MW) Grant Plains wind facility in Oklahoma from Apex Clean Energy.
"The acquisition of the Grant Plains wind facility is an important step in strategically growing our renewable energy portfolio," said Southern Power President and CEO Buzz Miller. "This project aligns with our business model and underscores our commitment to developing wind generation."
The Grant Plains wind facility will be located in Grant County, Oklahoma, and is expected to utilize 64 wind turbines manufactured by Siemens. Grant Plains will be Southern Power's third wind facility in Oklahoma, building on a portfolio that includes the adjacent 151-MW Grant Wind facility and the 299-MW Kay Wind facility, both also acquired from Apex with turbines produced by Siemens. Grant Plains fits Southern Power's business strategy of growing its wholesale business through the acquisition and construction of generating assets substantially covered by long-term contracts.
Apex Clean Energy is managing the construction and will operate and maintain the facility upon completion. IEA Renewable Energy Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Infrastructure and Energy Alternatives, LLC, is serving as the engineering, procurement and construction contractor. Construction began in the first quarter this year, and the plant is expected to achieve commercial operation in December 2016.
With the addition of the Grant Plains wind facility, Southern Power owns more than 2,400 MW of renewable generation from 31 solar, wind and biomass facilities either announced, acquired or under construction. Across its system, Southern Company has added or announced more than 4,000 MW of renewable generation since 2012.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Consolidated-Tomoka Land (CTO) Acquires 0.91 Acres in Dallas, Texas for Approximately $14.9M
- Blue Bird Corporation (BLBD) Begins Shipping All-New Gasoline-Powered Bus
- Yahoo! (YHOO): Hack Not A Material Adverse Change - SunTrust's Peck
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!