Southern Co. (SO) Unit Acquires Grant Plains Wind Facility from Apex Clean Energy
- Wall Street dips on Trump protectionism, Qualcomm drag
- Yahoo! (YHOO) Tops Q4 EPS by 4c; Sees Verizon Deal Closing in Q2, Not Q1
- Aetna's (AET) Humana (HUM) Takeover Blocked by Judge as Anticompetative
- Trump signs order withdrawing U.S. from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- After-Hours Stock Movers 1/23: (REXX) (MRCY) (SYNC) Higher; (FSM) (OCUL) (CASC) Lower (more...)
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Southern Company subsidiary Southern Power announced the acquisition of the 147-megawatt (MW) Grant Plains wind facility in Oklahoma from Apex Clean Energy.
"The acquisition of the Grant Plains wind facility is an important step in strategically growing our renewable energy portfolio," said Southern Power President and CEO Buzz Miller. "This project aligns with our business model and underscores our commitment to developing wind generation."
The Grant Plains wind facility will be located in Grant County, Oklahoma, and is expected to utilize 64 wind turbines manufactured by Siemens. Grant Plains will be Southern Power's third wind facility in Oklahoma, building on a portfolio that includes the adjacent 151-MW Grant Wind facility and the 299-MW Kay Wind facility, both also acquired from Apex with turbines produced by Siemens. Grant Plains fits Southern Power's business strategy of growing its wholesale business through the acquisition and construction of generating assets substantially covered by long-term contracts.
Apex Clean Energy is managing the construction and will operate and maintain the facility upon completion. IEA Renewable Energy Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Infrastructure and Energy Alternatives, LLC, is serving as the engineering, procurement and construction contractor. Construction began in the first quarter this year, and the plant is expected to achieve commercial operation in December 2016.
With the addition of the Grant Plains wind facility, Southern Power owns more than 2,400 MW of renewable generation from 31 solar, wind and biomass facilities either announced, acquired or under construction. Across its system, Southern Company has added or announced more than 4,000 MW of renewable generation since 2012.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Silgan (SLGN) to Acquire WestRock's (WRK) Specialty Closures and Dispensing Systems Business for $1.03B
- Icahn Enterprises L.P. (IEP) Closes Acquisition of Federal-Mogul (FDML)
- Overseas Shipholding Group (OSG) Reaches Agreement with SEC
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!