Shire's Says Xiidra 5% is Now Available in U.S.
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
- Xiidra is the only prescription eye drop approved by the U.S. FDA for the treatment of both signs and symptoms of dry eye disease
- Resources are available to support patients seeking information regarding coverage and savings offers
- Xiidra is the first medication in a new class of drugs - a lymphocyte function-associated antigen 1 (LFA-1) antagonist - approved by the FDA for dry eye disease
Shire plc (NASDAQ: SHPG) today announced that Xiidra™ (lifitegrast ophthalmic solution) 5%, a twice-daily prescription eye drop indicated for the treatment of both the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease, is now available by prescription in the United States. An estimated 16 million adults in the U.S. are diagnosed with dry eye, a disease associated with inflammation that may eventually lead to damage to the surface of the eye. An eye care professional can diagnose dry eye disease based on signs and symptoms and determine management options, which could include the use of a prescription treatment. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Xiidra on July 11, 2016.
"Shire worked rapidly to bring Xiidra to market following the approval of this new treatment - a first-in-its-class medication and the first prescription treatment to be approved for both the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease," said Perry Sternberg, Head, U.S. Commercial. "We have a full range of modern, educational access programs to support the millions of patients across the U.S. living with dry eye disease. This delivers on our commitment to showing up differently in ophthalmics."
"As the number of people presenting with the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease increases, the availability of a new prescription treatment option for this condition is an exciting development," Eric D. Donnenfeld, M.D., FAAO, National Medical Director, TLC Laser Eye Centers. "We now have a new prescription eye drop that is specifically indicated for the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease, an often common eye condition that may be progressive."
With the availability of Xiidra, Shire has patient-focused resources to share information about prescription coverage and savings (subject to eligibility):
- ask iiris, a phone service offering live-person responses to questions regarding information about insurance coverage, benefits, co-pays and availability in pharmacies. To ask iiris, please call 1-844-my-iiris.
- Xiidra iinsider, an optional program that patients can sign up for to receive information and special offers, either via text or email.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- WestRock (WRK) to Acquire Multi Packaging Solutions (MPSX) for $18 per share
- Asterias Bio (AST) Announces Efficacy Results at 6-months and 9-months Following Treatment with AST-OPC1 in Patients with Complete Cervical SCI
- Flex Pharma (FLKS) to Prioritize Phase 2 Clinical Programs in Severe Neurological Diseases
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!