Shire (SHPG) Announces U.S. Availability of Xiidra Eye Drop
- Top 10 News for 10/17 - 10/21: Merger Rumors Abound; CEOs Depart; Tesla Kicks Autopilot Up A Notch
- Wall Street ends little changed; Microsoft hits record
- AT&T (T) in Advanced Talks to Acquire Time Warner (TWX) - DJ
- Rockwell Automation (ROK) Said to Attract Takeover Interest from Schneider Electric - Source
- British American Tobacco Offers to Acquire Remaining Shares of Reynolds American (RAI) for $56.50/Share
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
Shire plc (Nasdaq: SHPG) announced that Xiidra (lifitegrast ophthalmic solution) 5%, a twice-daily prescription eye drop indicated for the treatment of both the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease, is now available by prescription in the United States. An estimated 16 million adults in the U.S. are diagnosed with dry eye, a disease associated with inflammation that may eventually lead to damage to the surface of the eye. An eye care professional can diagnose dry eye disease based on signs and symptoms and determine management options, which could include the use of a prescription treatment. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Xiidra on July 11, 2016.
"Shire worked rapidly to bring Xiidra to market following the approval of this new treatment – a first-in-its-class medication and the first prescription treatment to be approved for both the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease," said Perry Sternberg, Head, U.S. Commercial. "We have a full range of modern, educational access programs to support the millions of patients across the U.S. living with dry eye disease. This delivers on our commitment to showing up differently in ophthalmics."
"As the number of people presenting with the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease increases, the availability of a new prescription treatment option for this condition is an exciting development," Eric D. Donnenfeld, M.D., FAAO, National Medical Director, TLC Laser Eye Centers. "We now have a new prescription eye drop that is specifically indicated for the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease, an often common eye condition that may be progressive."
With the availability of Xiidra, Shire has patient-focused resources to share information about prescription coverage and savings (subject to eligibility):
- ask iiris, a phone service offering live-person responses to questions regarding information about insurance coverage, benefits, co-pays and availability in pharmacies. To ask iiris, please call 1-844-my-iiris.
- Xiidra iinsider, an optional program that patients can sign up for to receive information and special offers, either via text or email.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Concordia International (CXRX) CEO to Step Down
- Myriad Genetics (MYGN), AmerisourceBergen's (ABC) ION Solutions Enter Cancer Tests, Services Relationship
- Monster Worldwide (MWW) Issues Response to MediaNews Group; Says Offer Would be 'Far Less' than Randstad's
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments
Related EntitiesDefinitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!