Sears to shut 64 more Kmart stores: source
- Nasdaq hits record; bank earnings validate Wall St. rally
- Intrawest Resorts (SNOW) Exploring a Possible Sale - Reuters
- Alibaba (BABA) Has No Plans to Acquire Rest of Groupon (GRPN) - Source
- Time (TIME) Said to Soon Begin Discussions with Interested Buyers - Bloomberg
- JPMorgan (JPM) Reports Q4 EPS of $1.71
A Sears logo is seen inside a department store in Garden City, New York, U.S., May 23, 2016. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton
Get access to the best calls on Wall Street with StreetInsider.com's Ratings Insider Elite. Get your Free Trial here.
(Reuters) - Retailer Sears Holdings Corp (NASDAQ: SHLD) will close a further 64 Kmart stores in the United States, a source familiar with the matter said, in addition to the nearly 70 it announced earlier this year.
Sears, which has posted a quarterly profit just once in the last four years, said in April it would close 68 Kmart discount stores and 10 Sears department stores to cut costs.
Once the largest U.S. retailer, Sears has lost its standing as customers move to online shopping or rivals such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc (NYSE: WMT).
Sears had a total long term debt of $3.4 billion and cash balance of $276 million as of July 30, 2016.
The company said later in May that it would explore options to expand its home-improvement service business and some of its best-known brands such as Kenmore appliances.
Ratings agency Moody's investor service cut its rating on Sears' liquidity last week, saying Kmart's meaningful market share erosion has made it uncertain about its viability.
Business Insider first reported the closures on Monday citing local news reports and Kmart employees.
The additional stores earmarked for closure will begin liquidation sales on Sept. 22 and close by mid-December, the financial news website reported.
Sears said it would provide an updated store count in their next quarterly filing.
(Reporting by Siddharth Cavale and Abhijith Ganapavaram in Bengaluru; Editing by Shounak Dasgupta)
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCAU) Said to Face U.S. Criminal Diesel Emissions Probe - Bloomberg
- Newell Brands (NWL) to Sell U.S. Rubbermaid Consumer Storage Totes Business
- Used to whizzing bullets, Kashmir border farmers now hit by drought
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Reuters, Rumors
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!