Sanofi Genzyme (SNY) Receives $37.6M BARDA Contract
- Wall Street surges to new highs; transports set record
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Abbott (ABT) Files Complaint to Terminate Alere (ALR) Acquisition
- Costco Wholesale (COST) Tops Q1 EPS by 5c; Comps Up 1%, 2% Ex-Gas
- After-Hours Stock Movers 12/07: (VYGR) (LULU) (HRB( Higher; (OHRP) (VRNT) (CMTL) Lower (more...)
Get the Pulse of the Market with StreetInsider.com's Pulse Picks. Get your Free Trial here.
Sanofi Genzyme, the specialty care global business unit of Sanofi (NYSE: SNY), announced today that the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), within the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, has awarded Sanofi a $37.6 million contract to supply and manage inventory for Leukine®.
Sanofi Genzyme is developing Leukine for the treatment of acute radiation syndrome. Acute radiation syndrome is a serious illness that occurs in people exposed to high doses of radiation. The condition involves injuries to the body’s organs, including the bone marrow, gastrointestinal tract, and lungs, and can cause neutropenia, an abnormally low level of white blood cells that fight infection called neutrophils.
“According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the cause of death in most cases of acute radiation syndrome is the destruction of the person's bone marrow1,” said Richard Peters, Sanofi Genzyme’s Global Head of Rare Diseases. “We are pleased to be able to partner with BARDA to support public health.”
In 2013, Sanofi was awarded a $36.5 million contract for late stage development and procurement of Leukine. Since then Sanofi Genzyme has conducted studies regarding the potential use of Leukine in patients acutely exposed to myelosuppressive doses of radiation (Hematopoietic Syndrome of Acute Radiation Syndrome). Sanofi Genzyme expects to submit a supplemental Biologics License Application (sBLA) to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration next year.
BARDA provides an integrated, systematic approach to the development and purchase of the necessary vaccines, drugs, therapies, and diagnostic tools for public-health medical emergencies.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- MannKind (MNKD) Announces Completion of $10.2M Insulin Sales Agreement with Sanofi (SNY)
- Sanofi Genzyme (SNY) Commences Isatuximab Phase 3 in r/r Multiple Myeloma
- Horizon Pharma (HZNP), Sobi Enter Ravicti, Ammonaps Distribution Agreement
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!