Ruby Tuesday (RT) CEO Buettgen Resigns; Prelim. Q1 Results Light of Expectations
- Record-setting rally pushes on as S&P ends week up 3 percent
- Trump's Cohn Pick Most Bullish Sign Yet for Banks - Cowen
- Unusual 11 Mid-Day Movers: (IDXG) (INVN) (EBS) Higher; (SCON) (DTEA) (DLTH) Lower (more...)
- 21st Century Fox (FOXA) offers to acquire Sky for GBP10.75/share
- Coca Cola (KO) Announces James Quincey to Succeed Muhtar Kent as CEO; Kent to Continue as Chairman
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
Ruby Tuesday, Inc. (NYSE: RT) announced that effective immediately, the Board of Directors has appointed F. Lane Cardwell, Jr. as Interim President and Chief Executive Officer following the resignation of James J. “JJ” Buettgen. Additionally, Mr. Buettgen, who had also served as Board Chairman, will not stand for reelection at the upcoming Annual Meeting of Shareholders on October 5, 2016 and Lead Director Stephen Sadove has been named non-executive Board Chairman. The Company’s Board of Directors has retained Heidrick & Struggles to begin a search for a permanent President and Chief Executive Officer.
Stephen Sadove, Board Chairman and Lead Director, stated, “We would like to thank JJ for his dedicated service to Ruby Tuesday. During his leadership, JJ built a strong team, improved the health of the organization, and positioned the Company to execute against its Fresh Start initiatives including the recent completion of the asset rationalization program. We wish him well in his future endeavors.” Mr. Sadove added, “We appreciate Lane stepping into the President and CEO roles. Lane possesses decades of restaurant and management expertise which is ideal for ensuring a smooth and orderly transition during this interim period. His tenure on our Board will help facilitate leadership continuity until we can complete the process of identifying a suitable permanent replacement.”
The Company also announced the appointment of Sue Briley as Chief Financial Officer. Ms. Briley has been serving as interim Chief Financial Officer since June 2016 and prior to that, had been Vice President of Finance since joining Ruby Tuesday in July 2014. Mr. Sadove commented, “Sue has done an exceptional job since taking on the responsibilities of interim Chief Financial Officer and has proven to be the right candidate for the position to lead our strong financial team going forward.”
Mr. Cardwell has been a Director of the Company since October 2012 and member of the Executive Compensation and Audit Committees. Since June 2012, Mr. Cardwell has served as the President of Cardwell Hospitality Advisory. Before that, he held several positions including President of P.F. Chang’s China Bistro, as well as board member, and President and Chief Executive Officer of Boston Market. Previously, he served on the board of Famous Dave’s of America prior to becoming interim President and Chief Executive Officer and also served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Eatzi’s Market and Bakery. Prior to joining Eatzi’s, Mr. Cardwell was Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer and board member of Brinker International.
F. Lane Cardwell, Jr., Interim President and Chief Executive Officer, added, “I appreciate the opportunity to accept this expanded role and look forward to working with the Board and the talented management team as we move toward restoring Ruby Tuesday to sustained profitable growth.”
Preliminary Fiscal First Quarter 2017 Results
The Company also announced the following preliminary financial results for the fiscal first quarter ended August 30, 2016:
- Total revenue, including franchise revenue, of approximately $256.7 million. (The Street was looking for $263 million.)
- Same restaurant sales declined approximately 2.7%.
- Net Loss per diluted share to range from $0.67 to $0.74. Adjusted Net Loss* per diluted share to range from $0.10 to $0.12. (The Street was looking for a loss of $0.01 per share.)
* Estimated EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, Adjusted Net Loss and Adjusted Net Loss per share are non-GAAP measures. Reconciliations of estimated EBITDA, Adjusted EBITDA, Adjusted Net Loss and Adjusted Net Loss per share to the most directly comparable financial measures presented in accordance with United States Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) are set forth in the schedule accompanying this release. See “Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
As of today, all 95 restaurants have closed under the Company’s asset rationalization plan announced on August 11, 2016. Additionally, these locations have been excluded from the calculation of the Company’s same restaurant sales performance for the fiscal first quarter and will be excluded on a go-forward basis.
Preliminary results remain subject to the completion of normal quarter-end accounting procedures and adjustments and are subject to change. Specifically, the charges for closed restaurant lease reserves reflected within Closures and Impairments, Net associated with the Company’s asset rationalization plan are subject to change pending the conclusion of the first quarter evaluation.
The Company will release full fiscal first quarter 2017 results and update Fiscal 2017 guidance, if necessary, on Thursday, October 6, 2016 following the close of the financial markets and will hold a conference call at 5:00 p.m. Eastern time. The regular quarterly conference call can be accessed live by dialing 888-670-2260 or for international callers by dialing 913-312-0686. A replay will be available after the call and can be accessed by dialing 877-870-5176 or for international callers by dialing 858-384-5517. The passcode is 9127398. The replay will be available through Sunday, November 6, 2016. A live webcast of the call can be accessed on the Investor Relations page of the Company’s website at www.rubytuesday.com and will be archived on the Company’s website.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Network-1 Technologies (NTIP) Approves Initial 5c Semi-Annual Dividend
- Panera Bread (PNRA) Names Blaine Hurst President
- Akili, Pfizer (PFE) Report Positive Data from Study to Detect Subtle Cognitive Changes in Healthy Subjects at Risk of Developing AD
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Guidance, Hot Corp. News, Hot Mgmt Changes, Management Changes, Management Comments, Retail Sales
Related EntitiesDividend, Earnings
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!