Proofpoint (PFPT) Enters Agreement to Acquire Cloud Security Provider FireLayers
- Wall Street dips on Trump protectionism, Qualcomm drag
- Yahoo! (YHOO) Tops Q4 EPS by 4c; Sees Verizon Deal Closing in Q2, Not Q1
- Aetna's (AET) Humana (HUM) Takeover Blocked by Judge as Anticompetative
- Trump signs order withdrawing U.S. from Trans-Pacific trade deal
- After-Hours Stock Movers 1/23: (REXX) (MRCY) (SYNC) Higher; (FSM) (OCUL) (CASC) Lower (more...)
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Proofpoint, Inc., (Nasdaq: PFPT) has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire FireLayers, an innovator in cloud security. With this acquisition, Proofpoint will extend Targeted Attack Protection (TAP) to SaaS applications, enabling customers to protect their employees using SaaS applications from advanced malware. In addition, the threat intelligence extracted from SaaS applications will enhance the Proofpoint Nexus security and compliance platform, expanding Proofpoint’s ability to deliver protection for the way people work today.
“FireLayers gives us a platform to scale and protect the thousands of SaaS applications that enterprises use, as well as a seasoned product and engineering team to execute,” said Gary Steele, Proofpoint CEO. “Also, as part of today’s news, we are pleased to expand our global cybersecurity presence in EMEA with a new office location in Israel.”
As users increasingly click links and access files in cloud services, SaaS applications have become an important and often invisible threat vector for malware. The combination of Proofpoint TAP and FireLayers will enable enterprises to detect and block both malicious files and links shared via SaaS applications. As with other modules of TAP, this will be sold separately and will be available in the first half of 2017.
The new FireLayers-powered SaaS application threat intelligence will feed the Proofpoint Nexus platform to amplify Proofpoint’s correlated threat intelligence across its global ecosystem. With today’s announcement, enterprises will be able to protect themselves against a variety of targeted attacks, including for example:
- Malware in files shared via SaaS file sharing platforms, such as Microsoft Office 365 (both SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business) or Dropbox, and within files uploaded to a ticket in customer service applications, such as Salesforce or ServiceNow
- Malicious links embedded in resumes uploaded to Human Capital Management applications such as Oracle Taleo and Workday
- Malware posted by an attacker, who has compromised a trusted partner, to SaaS collaboration tools including Box or Slack
“We built FireLayers with one goal: to help enterprises secure their cloud applications—and we are thrilled to accelerate our mission and bring Proofpoint’s exceptional capabilities to SaaS applications,” said Yair Grindlinger, CEO and co-founder of FireLayers. “Our decision to join Proofpoint is based on its high caliber cybersecurity innovation and effectiveness at protecting customers worldwide from advanced threats. And the new Proofpoint Israel office extends that exceptional leadership presence into Israel for long-term success.”
The purchase price for the transaction is approximately $55 million, with approximately $46 million in cash and the remaining approximately $9 million in Proofpoint stock subject to continued vesting. The closing is subject to customary closing conditions and is expected to occur this quarter.
For more information about Proofpoint Targeted Attack Protection, please visit https://www.proofpoint.com/us/products/targeted-attack-protection
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Silgan (SLGN) to Acquire WestRock's (WRK) Specialty Closures and Dispensing Systems Business for $1.03B
- Avis Budget Group (CAR) Adopts Short-Term Stockholder Rights Plan
- Sprint Corp. (S) to Acquire 33% Stake in TIDAL
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions
Related EntitiesTwitter, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!