Pfizer (PFE) Near Deal to Acquire Medivation (MDVN) for $14 Billion
- Stocks dip as earnings pour in, consumer discretionary lags
- UPDATE: Alphabet (GOOG) Tops Q3 EPS Views; Revs Strong
- Twitter (TWTR) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Announces Restructuring, Workforce Reduction
- Cirrus Logic, Inc. (CRUS) Q2 Results and Guidance Beat Estimates
- Amazon.com (AMZN) Misses Q3 EPS by 26c, Offers Q4 Guidance
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Pfizer (NYSE: PFE) is near a deal to acquire Medivation (NASDAQ: MDVN) for just shy of $14 billion in cash, or about $80 per share, according to various media reports late Sunday. A deal could be announced as soon as Monday.
The offer comes at a sharp premium to the $52.50 per share hostile offer made by Sanofi (NYSE: SNY) in April, which was rejected outright by Medivation. Shortly after the rejection, Sanofi launched an effort to replace Medivation's board, which was later dropped.
In July, Medivation entered confidentiality agreements with potential suitors including Sanofi, Pfizer and Celgene (NASDAQ: CELG). It now appears Pfizer won the heated bidding war that also included a German pharmaceutical company, according to a StreetInsider source, and Merck (NYSE: MRK), according to Reuters.
In March, StreetInsider first reported Medivation was actively 'in play' and in July StreetInsider first reported Pfizer was a serious bidder with a $12 billion offer on the table. That offer has since been raised amid the bidding frenzy.
While the reported $14 billion takeover from Pfizer is seen as "healthy", according to Stifel analyst Thomas Shrader, the price "looks like Pfizer and possibly other suitors were willing to pay little or no premium to an optimistic valuation of the Xtandi franchise for the chance to get into the prostate cancer space in a high quality way." The caution may also reflect pricing uncertainty due to the recent CVS attempt to fight future Xtandi price increases and the possibility of competition in the prostate cancer space in the next few years, he added.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- UPDATE: Sanchez Energy (SN) in Talks to Partner with Blackstone (BX) on Deal for Anadarko Petroleum (APC) South Texas Assets - DJ
- UPDATE: KKR & Co. (KKR) said to be investor in Netscout Systems (NTCT)
- XPO Logistics (XPO) Announces $558M Divestiture of American Truckload Operation to TransForce
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Hot Corp. News, Hot M&A, Mergers and Acquisitions, Rumors
Related EntitiesStifel, Raising Prices, Definitive Agreement
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!