Organovo (ONVO) Announces Strong Prelim. Q217 Results; Updates FY17 Outlook
- Consumer staples stocks help Wall St. pare some losses
- BAT Reaches Deal to Acquire Reynolds American (RAI) for $49 Billion
- Verizon Communications (VZ) May Acquire Big Cable Company - NYP (CHTR) (CMCSA)
- Citron Research Negative on Lannett (LCI); Sees Shares at 'Zero' Over Long Term
- Einhorn's Greenlight Mentions Caterpillar (CAT) Short in Q4 Letter; Doesn't See Disney (DIS) Buying Netflix (NFLX)
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Organovo Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: ONVO) reported preliminary unaudited revenue and net cash utilization results for the fiscal second quarter of 2017 and updated its full-year fiscal 2017 outlook. The Company expects to release full fiscal second-quarter financial results on November 3, 2016.
Organovo’s preliminary fiscal second quarter total revenue was approximately $1.4 million, consisting largely of product and service revenue(1). This result reflects a 357 percent increase in total revenue versus the comparable period of fiscal 2016 and a 54 percent increase versus the fiscal first quarter of 2017.
Selected Organovo Financial Highlights
- Product and service revenue was approximately $1.0 million, up 400 percent from the prior-year period, largely driven by an increase in customer contracts for the Company’s tissue research services. (The Street was looking for revenue of about $750,000.)
- Collaborations and grant revenue(2) totaled approximately $0.4 million, primarily supported by a milestone achievement from the Company’s agreement with Merck & Co. to develop multiple custom tissue models.
Liquidity & Capital Resources
- The Company’s preliminary cash and cash equivalents balance was approximately $51.7 million as of the end of the fiscal second quarter, which compares to $53.5 million for the fiscal first quarter. Organovo’s preliminary net cash utilization(3) during the period was approximately $6.8 million. During the fiscal second quarter, the Company generated net proceeds of approximately $4.5 million from the issuance of 997,181 shares of common stock in at-the-market (“ATM”) offerings at a weighted average price of $4.67 per share and approximately $0.5 million from the exercise of stock options and warrants.
Fiscal-Year 2017 Outlook
The Company updated its full-year fiscal 2017 outlook for total revenue and net cash utilization. The Company now expects:
- Total revenue of between $4.5 million and $6.2 million for fiscal-year 2017. Fiscal 2016 total revenue was $1.5 million. (The Street sees FY17 revenue of $4.7 million.)
- Net cash utilization of between $31.0 million and $34.0 million for fiscal-year 2017. The Company had a cash and cash equivalents balance of $62.1 million for its fiscal year ended March 31, 2016.
|Fiscal-Year 2017 Outlook (August 2016)||Fiscal-Year 2017 Outlook (October 2016)|
|Fiscal-Year 2017 Total Revenue||$4 million - $6 million||$4.5 million - $6.2 million|
|Net Cash Utilization||$32.5 million - $36.5 million||$31.0 million - $34.0 million|
The Company affirmed its long-range outlook for potential revenue from its liver and kidney tissue products. The Company continues to expect:
- As it penetrates the toxicology market, Organovo’s ExVive™ Human Liver Tissue service will grow into the tens of millions in annual revenue, and has $100 million+ revenue potential in the future (inside of a total addressable market of over $1 billion).
- As it penetrates the toxicology market, Organovo’s ExVive Human Kidney Tissue service will grow into the tens of millions in annual revenue, and has $100 million+ revenue potential in the future (inside of a total addressable market of over $2 billion).
Definitions & Supplemental Financial Measures
(1) Product and service revenue includes tissue research service agreements and product sales, including product sales from the Company’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Samsara Sciences Inc.
(2) Collaborations revenue consists of license and collaboration agreements that contain multiple elements, which may include non-refundable up-front fees, payments for reimbursement of third-party research costs, payments for ongoing research, payments associated with achieving specific development milestones and royalties based on specified percentages of net product sales, if any.
(3) In addition to disclosing financial results that are determined in accordance with U.S. GAAP, the Company provides net cash utilization as a supplemental measure to help investors evaluate the Company’s fundamental operational performance. The Company defines net cash utilization as the net decrease in cash and cash equivalents during the reporting period (which was ($1.8 million) during the second quarter of fiscal 2017) less proceeds from the sale of common stock and the exercise of warrants and stock options during the reporting period (which was $5.0 million during the second quarter of fiscal 2017). Net cash utilization is an operational measure that should be considered as additional financial information regarding our operations. This operational measure should not be considered without also considering our results prepared in accordance with U.S. GAAP, and should not be considered as a substitute for, or superior to, our U.S. GAAP results. The Company believes net cash utilization is a relevant and useful operational measure because it provides information regarding our cash utilization rate. Management uses net cash utilization to manage the business, including in preparing its annual operating budget, financial projections and compensation plans. The Company believes that net cash utilization is also useful to investors because similar measures are frequently used by securities analysts, investors and other interested parties in their evaluation of companies in similar industries. However, there is no standardized measurement of net cash utilization, and net cash utilization as the Company presents it may not be comparable with similarly titled operational measures used by other companies. Due to these limitations, the Company’s management does not view net cash utilization in isolation but also uses other measurements, such as cash used in operating activities and revenues to measure operating performance.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Christopher & Banks (CBK) Announces Departure of CEO, Trims Q4 Guidance
- Aqua America (WTR) Offers FY17 Guidance
- Corporate Office Properties Trust (OFC) Offers FY17 Guidance
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Guidance, Hot Corp. News, Hot Guidance
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!