Optimer (OPTR) Announces Add-on Payment From Medicare & Medicaid Services for its DIFICID
- Top 10 News for 12/15 - 12/19: Russia Raises Rates, Ruble Retreats; U.S., Cuba Get Friendly; Sony Crumbles Under Pressure
- BlackBerry (BBRY) Posts Surprise Q3 Profit; Reports 100% Sequential Growth in BES10 Licenses
- Facebook's (FB) Instagram is Bigger and Better than Twitter (TWTR), Should Be Worth $35 Billion - Citi
- Nike (NKE) Tops Q2 EPS by 4c; Adjusted Futures Orders Rose 11%
- Fed's Williams Says June Good Time to Consider 'Lift-Off'
Optimer Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq: OPTR) announced that the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has granted a new technology add-on payment (NTAP) for DIFICID tablets administered in the inpatient setting to treat Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD). Introduced in 2001, the CMS NTAP program is designed to support timely access of innovative therapies used to treat Medicare beneficiaries in the inpatient setting. The NTAP program is only available to new technologies demonstrating a substantial clinical improvement and meeting specific cost thresholds. The NTAP payment will provide hospitals with a payment, in addition to the standard-of-care DRG reimbursement, of up to 50% of the cost of DIFICID for a period of two to three years, effective in the fiscal year starting on October 1, 2012. For 2013, CMS has assigned a maximum payment of $868.00. The NTAP payment is available to hospitals only for individual patient cases that are more costly than the average DRG charges.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- AbbVie (ABBV): FDA Approves Viekira Pak to Treat Hepatitis C
- Myriad Genetics (MYGN) Receives FDA Approval for BRACAnalysis CDx as Companion Diagnostic (AZN)
- Radius Health (RDUS) IND for RAD1901 Accepted by FDA
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!