Nokia (NOK), Ooredoo Myanmar Complete Launch of First 4G Services in Myanmar
- Top 10 News for 12/2: Crude Rips on OPEC Cut; Starbucks' Schultz Steps Down; Nonfarm Payrolls Flat in Nov.
- Unemployment Rate Drops to 4.6%
- Bond yields slip on U.S. jobs data, euro steady before Italy vote
- Alibaba (BABA) Founder Jack Ma Discuss Plans to Retire; 'I Don't Want to Die at the Office'
- Starbucks Coffee (SBUX) CEO Howard Schultz to Step Down, Appointed Executive Chairman; Kevin Johnson New CEO
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Nokia (NYSE: NOK) and Ooredoo Myanmar have completed the roll-out and launch of the first 4G service in Myanmar, meeting the mobile data demands of residents and visitors with increased speeds and capacity. To ensure seamless network operations, the companies have also extended their existing managed services agreement to incorporate the 4G network.
Nokia completed the initial 4G roll-out in under three months by upgrading Ooredoo Myanmar's existing 3G network using the Nokia Single RAN and Packet Core platforms. This fast deployment time allowed Ooredoo to launch its high-capacity service in Yangon, Nay Phi Daw, Mandalay, and Bagan and continue the country's digital transformation.
Nokia has deployed the network across the Yangon region, the largest and most densely populated region in Myanmar. This has enabled Ooredoo Myanmar to offer high-speed mobile services to subscribers in some areas for the first time while meeting future data demands in a country with a thriving economy and ever-growing tourist industry.
Nokia previously provided its Managed Services expertise to Ooredoo Myanmar's 3G network, providing support from its global delivery center in Chennai, India, as well as in-country support in Myanmar. By extending these services to the 4G network, Nokia will provide a simplified management and reporting structure ensuring seamless service for the operator's seven million subscribers.
About the solution
- 4G technology introduced in Ooredoo Myanmar's 2100MHz band on Nokia Flexi Multiradio 10 Base Stations
- Core network elements - the Nokia Packet Core including the Mobility Manager, Mobile Gateway along with the Home Subscriber Server
- Nokia network and system integration services for radio access and core network operations
- Nokia Care Services and Managed Services expertise
Rene Meza, Chief Executive Officer, Ooredoo Myanmar, said: "We have come a long way in developing the telecommunications market in Myanmar. Using Nokia's innovative 4G technology and Managed Services expertise we can continue to lead the way in delivering the most advanced high-speed data-intensive services to our customers in the fastest time. We are proud to be the first to launch 4G services in Myanmar and plan to extend the network further in the future. By opening up underserved areas of the country we will offer the vital connectivity that will continue Myanmar's digital transformation and further drive the growth of its economy."
John Farhat, Chief Technology and Information Officer, Ooredoo Myanmar, said: "We had a challenging deadline to deploy the 4G network but Nokia's proven expertise in this technology and fast roll-out capabilities enabled us to launch the LTE network in just three months. We are currently using the 2100Mhz frequency band to offer 4G services. However, the increasing popularity of our LTE services will allow us to further invest in procuring spectrum in the 1800Mhz and 2600Mhz frequency band, in the forthcoming auctions."
Harald Preiss, head of Asia North at Nokia, said: "The ability to roll-out 4G services mainly via a software upgrade meant that we could complete deployment in the quickest time and in the most cost-effective way, allowing Ooredoo Myanmar to leverage its existing infrastructure. The upgraded network offers superior indoor coverage and increased capacity to meet future demand. And by extending our leading Managed Services expertise, we can ensure transparent operations across the network."
Did You Know Myanmar's economy is the fastest growing in Asia and is expected to grow by 8.4 percent in 2016 and early 2017.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Digital Ally (DGLY) Refutes TASER's Attack on ‘292 Patent; Says Nothing New Here
- PICO Holdings (PICO) Announces Leadership, Governance Changes; Terminates Central Square Agreement
- Neovasc (NVCN) Agrees to Sell Tissue Processing Tech to Boston Scientific (BSX) in $75M Deal
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!