Merck (MRK) Announces FDA Filing Acceptance of NDA for MK-1293
- Apple (AAPL) Tops Q4 EPS by 2c; Issues Solid Outlook
- Wall Street slips on earnings; Apple falls late after results
- Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG) Posts Q3 EPS of $0.27; Comps Miss Views; Additional Stock Buyback Approved
- Pandora (P) Misses Q3 EPS by 1c, Q4 Revenue Guidance Falls Short
- After-Hours Movers 10/25: (OGXI) (AKAM) (VRTX) Higher; (EW) (NUVA) (CMG) (AAPL) Lower (more...)
Find out which companies are about to raise their dividend well before the news hits the Street with StreetInsider.com's Dividend Insider Elite. Sign-up for a FREE trial here.
Merck (NYSE: MRK), known as MSD outside of the United States and Canada, today announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has accepted for review the New Drug Application (NDA) for MK-1293, an investigational follow-on biologic1 insulin glargine candidate for the treatment of people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes, which is being developed by Merck with partial funding from Samsung Bioepis.
“The FDA acceptance of our follow-on biologic application is an important milestone, and brings us closer to offering another treatment option for people in the U.S. with diabetes,” said Peter Stein, M.D., vice president, late stage development, diabetes and endocrinology, Merck. “We are proud of the significant contributions we have already made to helping people with type 2 diabetes, and with investigational MK-1293, we hope to expand our portfolio into insulin therapeutics and treatments for people with type 1 diabetes.”
The development program for MK-1293 was designed to meet rigorous regulatory standards for follow-on biologics of clinical and nonclinical safety, efficacy and quality. In addition to Phase 1 studies assessing its pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties, the NDA submission for MK-1293 includes results of two Phase 3 studies, one conducted in people with type 1 diabetes, and one in people with type 2 diabetes; Lantus® (insulin glargine)2, the originator insulin glargine, was the active comparator in both studies.
The NDA was filed through the 505(b)(2) regulatory pathway3, which allows the FDA to reference previous findings of safety and efficacy for an already-approved product (Lantus), in addition to reviewing findings from studies of MK-1293. Separately, the Marketing Authorization Application for MK-1293, which Merck submitted to the European Medicines Agency in December 2015, is currently under review.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- OncoGenex Pharma (OGXI) Announces Strong Survival Data from Apatorsen Phase 2 in MBC
- PRGX Global (PRGX) to Acquire SaaS P2P SIM Service Provider Lavante
- Quidel Corp (QDEL) Receives FDA 510(k) Clearance for Solana Strep Complete Assay
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, FDA, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!