Leonard Green to Make $625M Investment in Signet Jewelers (SIG); Adds $625M to Stock Buyback Program
- Wall Street hits new high as post-election rally roars ahead
- ECB to scale back asset buys as it extends to end-2017
- lululemon athletica (LULU) Tops Q3 EPS by 4c; Adj.-Comps Outpaced Views
- Oil rises above $50 despite doubts over OPEC output cut
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 12/08: (VYGR) (TLRD) (LULU) Higher; (OHRP) (VRNT) (CMTL) Lower (more...)
Get inside Wall Street with StreetInsider Premium. Claim your 2-week free trial here.
Signet Jewelers Limited (NYSE: SIG) announced that affiliates of Leonard Green & Partners, L.P. will invest $625 million in the form of convertible preferred shares. Signet will use the proceeds from the LGP investment to fund a repurchase of up to $625mm in common stock either in the open market or through privately negotiated transactions. In conjunction with this transaction, Signet will expand its Board of Directors from ten to eleven and appoint Jonathan Sokoloff to the Signet Board upon the closing of the transaction, which is expected to occur in the third quarter of FY 2017.
Mark Light, Chief Executive Officer of Signet Jewelers, said, “We are very pleased to announce this strategic partnership with Leonard Green, one of the most experienced and successful investors in the retail industry. For more than 25 years, Leonard Green has successfully partnered with some of the best known companies in the retail sector and worked to create significant shareholder value. We view Leonard Green’s significant investment in Signet as a strong vote of confidence in our business and its long term growth prospects.”
Todd Stitzer, Chairman of Signet Jewelers, said, “We found in Leonard Green a long term partner who will provide a strong foundation to our shareholder base and will bring additional retail and financial expertise to our Board of Directors to help us further grow and shape the Signet portfolio of brands in a continuously evolving retail landscape.”
Jonathan Sokoloff added, “Signet Jewelers is an outstanding company – an innovator in its industry with some of the world’s most recognizable store banners and jewelry brands. We are pleased to make this investment and look forward to our partnership with the Board and management team.”
The investment by Green Equity Investors VI, L.P., an affiliate of LGP, in Signet will include the following terms:
- $625mm in convertible preference shares
- The convertible preference shares accrue a 5% p.a. dividend, payable quarterly in arrears, in cash or by increasing the liquidation preference, at the option of Signet
- The preference shares will be convertible into Signet common shares at a premium of 18% to the volume weighted average price of the common shares for the 20 trading days immediately following Signet’s second quarter earnings announcement on August 25, 2016, with a maximum conversion price of $100 per share
- LGP will be subject to a two year lock-up period and Signet will also have the right to force conversion after two years subject to Signet’s common shares achieving a specific price threshold
As a part of the transaction, Signet is increasing its Board authorized share repurchase program by $625 million, bringing the total authorization to $1.1 billion when combined with the $511 million remaining under the previously authorized repurchase program. The transaction is expected to close in the third quarter of FY 2017, subject to the receipt of customary regulatory approvals. Additional information regarding the investment will be included in a Form 8-K to be filed today by Signet with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
J.P. Morgan Securities LLC acted as financial advisor and Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP acted as legal advisor to Signet. Guggenheim Securities acted as financial advisor and Latham & Watkins LLP acted as legal advisor to Leonard Green & Partners, L.P.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Corvex Management Cuts Signet Jewelers (SIG) Stake in Half
- Corning (GLW) Approves New $4B Stock Buyback Program
- Guggenheim Reiterates Buy on United Natural Foods (UNFI) Following 1Q Report
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Insider Trades, Management Comments, Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity, Stock Buybacks
Related EntitiesJPMorgan, Leonard Green & Partners, Dividend, Stock Buyback, Earnings, Definitive Agreement, Guggenheim
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!