Intrexon (XON) Unit Receives USDA Approval for Arctic Fuji Apple
- Wall St. set to rise ahead of Trump inauguration
- General Electric (GE) Reports In-Line Q4 EPS
- Procter & Gamble (PG) Tops Q2 EPS by 2c
- Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) Says It Won't Pursue Accelerated U.S. Regulatory Pathway for Opdivo Plus Yervoy in Lung Cancer
- Pre-Open Stock Movers 01/20: (SWKS) (EMES) (CF) Higher; (PSTI) (AFMD) (BMY) Lower (more...)
News and research before you hear about it on CNBC and others. Claim your 2-week free trial to StreetInsider Premium here.
Intrexon Corporatio (NYSE: XON) announced its subsidiary Okanagan Specialty Fruits (OSF) has been granted deregulated status for its third nonbrowning Arctic apple variety, the Arctic Fuji, by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA APHIS). Arctic® Fuji apples have been found to be as safe and nutritious as conventional apples, joining OSF's Arctic® Golden and Arctic® Granny varieties.
"The response to Arctic® Fuji apples and our overall platform to deliver direct benefits to consumers has been encouraging," said Neal Carter, Okanagan Specialty Fruits' founder and president. "We are confident the positive feedback we have received will translate to the marketplace."
The approval follows a review of OSF's petition for extension by USDA APHIS and the successful conclusion of a comment period that solicited public feedback on the application. In an announcement from USDA APHIS, Michael J. Firko, APHIS Deputy Administrator, explained that "this determination of nonregulated status of [Arctic® Fuji] apples is the most scientifically sound and appropriate regulatory decision."
OSF's Arctic® apples have been improved through a reduction of the enzyme polyphenol oxidase (PPO), the primary cause of browning in fruit. The Arctic Advantage™ nonbrowning solution becomes apparent when an apple is sliced, bitten or bruised. Importantly, Arctic® apples provide this benefit without the use of flavor-altering chemical additives. Moving forward Okanagan Specialty Fruits will continue to focus on developing Arctic® nonbrowning tree fruits while expanding acreage of the approved Arctic® Golden, Arctic® Granny and Arctic® Fuji apples.
Serious News for Serious Traders! Try StreetInsider.com Premium Free!
You May Also Be Interested In
- Sonic Corp (SONC) Elects Steven Davis to Board of Directors
- DryShips (DRYS) Acquires Its First VLGC With 5 Year Time Charter Attached to Oil Major
- UPDATE: Viacom's (VIAB) Paramount, Shanghai Film, Huahua Sign Agreement to Co-Finance Slate of Films - Deadline.com
Create E-mail Alert Related CategoriesCorporate News, Management Comments
Sign up for StreetInsider Free!
Receive full access to all new and archived articles, unlimited portfolio tracking, e-mail alerts, custom newswires and RSS feeds - and more!